strike

Sponsored Links
Problem is they are comparing those workers with the steroetypical east euopeans.

The contract was put out to tender and the italian company gave the best price, their blokes will be on good money and will be highly skilled men.

Unfortunately, any big job in the uk can become unionised and this leads to blackmail of the client/employer.

I was on a big uk job years ago, getting paid 120 hrs a week for working 40 hrs, constantly being monitored by shop stewards to make sure you did a bit more than sfa. E.G. only connect and fix 10 wall fittings per day.
For me great while it lasted, but it means uk contractors have to build that nonsense into their price. Hence they price themselves out of the market and the foreign contractors move in.

Sponsored Links
bbc said:
Mr Mitten, who was with demonstrators at Wilton, said: "Foreign companies are coming in and undercutting British firms, yet not paying agreed rates of pay.

in other words cheap labour oh yeah like new labour

The contract was put out to tender and the italian company gave the best price, their blokes will be on good money and will be highly skilled men.

theres plenty of highly skilled men can't get jobs over here for the same reason as outlined above
View media item 8017

This could spread..

It was always going to happen, the building trade might go down the same route, as I said a few years ago, when everythings fine theres no problem but hit a reccession and theres going to be problems..

British guys..(I dont care whether they are black whites or several shades of beige) are out of work, cant get work and watch the swiss rolls and other eastern europeans get work (from other Brits I might add) for less money..sometimes ludicrously less money.

The Italians weren't the cheapest, it wasn't just on price, but other issues and forms but one part of a contract that's been going on for 14 months.

It's the client's choice as to whom they employ. Tender invites invariably contain the phrase that the client is not duty bound to use the cheapest tenderer, that was probably no different.

Rather than whingeing about it, those who didn't get it might like to think about how they can increase their chances of winning the next contract out of there.

UK working practices are as much to blame as anything and Holmslaw gives a not uncommon example.

Sponsored Links
Back