Strip lighting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for recommendations for strip lighting for some planter walls, a stone round seating area and around a paved step. I'm wanting the strip lights to be able to change colors.

Sponsored Links
Need to work out the materials needed for it wether to put them in or not. See pic.

Im thinking the live feed will come of the outside light so when the outside led light comes on, all the strip LEDs will come off it too. I was also thinking of installing some small sq lights built into the block wall, possibly 3.

Is this possible. 1.5 armored cable from the exterior light. Run the cable down the wall, underground to a junction box behind the middle pillars on the wall.

Take 1.5 cable from the junction box to the two box lights in the center of the wall.

Take another feed for the strip lights hid in the player wall at the top. Take one more feed of the junction box to the stone seating area where it'll be glued to the underside of the stone capping in the seating area.

Take another feed from junction box in 1.5 cable to the step.

I might also be building another small wall to the left of this diagram. If I do, take another feed from the junction box of 1.5 cable to the other planter wall

So basically, I take 5 feeds of the junction box that's fed from the exterior light with a 1.5 armored cable and when I turn on the exterior light, all the new feeds turn on..

Is it that simple or does it need additional cables, fittings?

IMG_20240314_140507535.jpg

Sponsored Links
I did a similar thing to a planter last year. The issue that I had was that there was only a 3 core SWA going under a block paved driveway to that area. Ignoring the earth wire, I needed a 2 core for the mains feed for the power supply, a 2 core from there to the colour change unit (driver) and from there 4 cores to the outside rated 5m length of LED strip.
To avoid running the 230v outside, I left the power supply inside the nearby garage and used the underground SWA to go from there with the 12v to the driver which is mounted in a box with a transparent window in the planter. However it doesn't work very well as the window gets very dirty and I have to moved vegetation to change colour.
This year I intend moving the driver inside so I can change colour easily, but only supply the LED stip with 3 core, so my choice of colours will be limited. But I am hoping to maybe do something with a small waterproof switch in the planter and a couple of diodes.
Obviously, having the 12v to move distances outside means you have to be wary of volt drop.
Bit long winded, but the bottom line is, I would advise to locate the driver in an accessible place, and use 4 core cable (plus an earth) between LEDs, if volt drop allows this.

I did a similar thing to a planter last year. The issue that I had was that there was only a 3 core SWA going under a block paved driveway to that area. Ignoring the earth wire, I needed a 2 core for the mains feed for the power supply, a 2 core from there to the colour change unit (driver) and from there 4 cores to the outside rated 5m length of LED strip.
To avoid running the 230v outside, I left the power supply inside the nearby garage and used the underground SWA to go from there with the 12v to the driver which is mounted in a box with a transparent window in the planter. However it doesn't work very well as the window gets very dirty and I have to moved vegetation to change colour.
This year I intend moving the driver inside so I can change colour easily, but only supply the LED stip with 3 core, so my choice of colours will be limited. But I am hoping to maybe do something with a small waterproof switch in the planter and a couple of diodes.
Obviously, having the 12v to move distances outside means you have to be wary of volt drop.
Bit long winded, but the bottom line is, I would advise to locate the driver in an accessible place, and use 4 core cable (plus an earth) between LEDs, if volt drop allows this.

Any pics of it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back