Strip Llight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my new property there is a strip light in the kitchen, one like you used to get in schools.

How easy would it be to change this to downlighters.

Pro job or something i can do myself.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You'd need to access teh space in the ceiling above the kitchen. What's above the kitchen?

Any electrical work done in a kitchen is notifiable so, if you're not competent, I'd suggest getting a registered spark in.

www.competentperson.co.uk will give you a list.

Ok mate thanks for that, the roof space is above, its a top floor flat.

Glad you said that. You MUST install fire-rated downlights or fit firehoods over the downlights if u are in a multi-occupancy building.

Sponsored Links
really i didnt know that either.

Just thought i could stick em in the loft.

In buildings containing flats or maisonettes, every floor is constructed as a fire compartment floor (unless it is within a maisonette, i.e. between one storey and another within one dwelling) and every wall or ceiling that
separates a flat or a maisonette from any other part of the building is constructed as a fire compartment wall.

If you had a fire in your flat and had made a swiss cheese of the ceiling then a fire would go into the roofspace and spread to other flats.

you're assuming that the loft space covers multiple flats..

in most flats, the loft space is seperated from the neighbouring roof spaces much as a semi detatched is.. brick walls either side.. meaning that your loft is your loft..

i'll post pics tomorrow of a set of flats under construction near where i work..

of course if its an old block it might not have either fire rated ceilings or seperated lofts....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back