Strip paint from aluminium garden furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been given a patio set made from cast aluminium (I think).
It's been painted a number of times with hammerite but it's flaking off in places so needs attention and the layer of paint is now so thick, it looks awful.

I figured I strip them back to the metal and then spray them with Hammerite.

Any suggestions on the easiest way to do this?

I was thinking perhaps I could use a blow torch to start with, being careful not to leave it on a spot for too long as I know it can melt the aluminium. Then jetwash to remove the loosened stuff, and finally finish with fine grit emery cloth.

Good plan or trouble ahead?

Sponsored Links
If it's flaking, a jet washer may get it off, followed by wire brush.

One of the problems with Hammerite (apart from being horrible and difficult to repaint) is that rust or corrosion can grown beneath the paint film.

I wouldn't use Hammerite again if I were you.

It uses a special toxic solvent so chemical stripper may not work, but you can try if you want.

Yes, I've backed away from the blowtorch plan - too many small bits that could quickly melt if I wasn't careful.

Some bits are flaking, others are not - it's also quite ornate, which makes scrape work a nightmare. I think a jetwash will remove some, but 90% of it will remain.

I only used paint stripper a couple of times before - nitromorse on gloss painted wood and I remember it being a complete pain in the arse so I've never used it since - maybe I should give it another go - wish I had a bit to try.

I've read someone had success with oven pride (caustic soda) on hammerite, although they were able to leave the item soaking in a bag of it - obv not possible here.

Note - I didn't paint 'em! I don't really understand why you'd use hammerite on aluminium...

Sponsored Links
Actually scratch the caustic soda idea - I'd forgotten that stuff reacts with aluminium!

See if you can find a local blaster that will use soda.
Soda blasting is normally very effective at this sort of thing and shouldn't affect the aluminium.
Given the cost of stripper and time, it may be cost effective

The furniture may have originally been powder coated so perhaps a powder coater could advise you. They normally have blasting on site

I think you have probably realised by now why they were given to you. May be as cost effective to purchase a new set rather than have them blasted then recoated

I think you have probably realised by now why they were given to you. May be as cost effective to purchase a new set rather than have them blasted then recoated

How very condescending.

Good quality cast aluminium is incredibly expensive - for this set, I'd be looking at over £500 for replacement -that's the only reason I haven't taken the easy route and simply painted over the numerous existing layers - it's a job WORTH doing properly. It seems there aren't any inexpensive short-cuts, so I'll just take my time over the job.

I suppose you can confirm the quality once the layers of paint are removed.... sometime around October?

Just playing with you, enjoy your project

Ordinary Hammerite not good on bare aluminium.

You will need a specialm primer suitable for aluminium.

Cellulose thinners will dissolve hammerite.

You can either pay a fiver for 250ml of Rustins cellulose thinners or buy 5L of spray gun grade cleaner cellulose thinners for about £15 from Morrells or a car spray paint provider. Alternatively you can pay a gazillion quid for the Hammerite brush cleaner.

It does evaporate very quickly, it is very flammable and you should wear appropriate gloves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back