Stripping paint off a Newel post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need advice on how to strip years of paint build-up off our newel post. It's got loads of fluting, curves and grooves and is going to be a nightmare to do using a scraper and the kind of stripper that blisters the paint off, not to mention flippin messy :confused:

I'm after something which can peel all the layers off in one go without having to scrape. Is there such a product?

'Ready Strip Plus' is one product which has been brought to my attention but it's pretty expensive so I was wondering if anyone has used it and could recommend it.

Cheers for the advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
a heat gun or plumbers blow torch makes paint stripping a doddle,especially the blow torches that ignite just by squeezing a trigger,easy peasy

Nitromors is the best known paint stripper. Though maybe you are better getting in a pro paint removal company as they will have more insight.

hmm.. agree with nitromorse round those flutings etc... I did similar once with nitromorse.. ended up laying a load of stipper on after it blistered, covered it with newspaper and left overnight (without heating on!!) it came of easier then.

good luck
john

Sponsored Links
Third eye I'd love to get professional strippers in but unfortunately no budget for that luxury :rolleyes:

I like the sound of wrapping it in newspaper and leaving it over night.

Thanks for that tip confidentincompetent.

I suppose it's going to be a long slog with a scraper and a tooth brush then.

I could have sworn there was something out there that let you peel off the layers in one go without having to scrape.

Must've dreamt it :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back