Stripping out Gas System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Another post here got me thinking...

We have just bought a house with 2 gas fires running from three huge propane cylinders outside the house (we are not on gas mains). The cylinders are all empty and we don't think they've been used for ages.

Hate the things and we'd like to change them to wood burning stoves which will require some chimney work etc to get up to Building Regs compliance.

However - one potential HETAS installer advised us to get a LPG Engineer to remove the existing fires before he would even do a site inspection. Is this really necessary? Surely once the cylinders are gone, its just redundant pipework. Couldn't I strip this out myself and save a few £££'s

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Keep the lpg fires.

You'll soon get bored of wood burning stoves. Very messy and time consuming.

If the pipes to the lpg are disconnected from the lpg bottles you
you can rip out the pipework yourself.

However I do replace a few wood burners back to gas fires.
People end up sitting with the central heating on because they
can't be bothered to light the stoves.
Don't think a stove is going to do the house heating because you won't be able to keep pace with filling it to keep the house warm.

Good advice.

I come from a family of fire lovers and also have the best part of 2 ash trees to burn over the coming year or so.

Having said that, we live in a house at the moment with a (mains) gas fire and it is good. Gets nice and warm, but I kind of like the whole dirty hands, chopping wood, nice smell etc thing.

We have an Aga, 2 open fire places, potentially 2 stoves and full top to bottom central heating. The options for heating are endless... which is just as well, because its draughty as hell...

Sponsored Links
Good advice.

I come from a family of fire lovers and also have the best part of 2 ash trees to burn over the coming year or so.

Plant an ash grove :idea: then you can sit in it , sing about it , and burn it - Yaki Da :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back