Removing an LPG (propane) fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly - hopefully this doesn't count as DIY gas work as I'm talking about a fire running off a propane cylinder rather than mains gas?

Anyway, we bought this house that has an LPG 'coal effect' fireplace hooked up to a propane cylinder outside the back door. The cylinder seems to be empty and it doesn't look like the fire has been used for quite some time.

We'd like to remove it, but I'm aware that LPG is heavier than air, so if I go ahead and disconnect the cylinder and/or fire, there's likely to still be LPG sitting in the pipe between the two.

What's the best way to go about disconnecting and getting the gas out of the pipe so that can be removed?

Sponsored Links
light the fire then turn off valve on cylinder. when flame goes out pipe is empty of gas or near enough as to make no difference

light the fire then turn off valve on cylinder. when flame goes out pipe is empty of gas or near enough as to make no difference

As above light and then issolate the cylinders, disconnect the pols and vent the room well when removing the appliances the only approved way is to burn off the gas using a burner!

Thanks - that sounds like a sensible solution; don't know if the fire actually works but maybe we'll approach with extreme caution and find out!

Sponsored Links
It's still DIY gas work, the type of gas (natural or LPG) is irrelevant, this should still be done by someone who is competent. You have no idea whether the fire is safe or not so my advice would be DO NOT LIGHT IT, get someone in who knows what they are doing

It's still DIY gas work, the type of gas (natural or LPG) is irrelevant, this should still be done by someone who is competent. You have no idea whether the fire is safe or not so my advice would be DO NOT LIGHT IT, get someone in who knows what they are doing

Must admit I'm concerned about the condition of the fire - but equally what would someone who "knows what they're doing" do differently? The only other option would be to shut off and disconnect the cylinder and appliance and then put compressed air or water through the line to clear any remaining gas (which being heavier than air would otherwise just sit there waiting to be ignited) to the outside of the property where it will eventually dissipate. Is this a better course of action, do you think?

It's fine to get someone in, but I suspect they will just do either one of the courses of action above (ie burn it off, or flush it through)?

So, we got someone in to do this in the end (GasSafe and HETAS registered).

He just disconnected the old fire and the propane cylinder and that was that. There was no "capping off" of anything done. I asked about the propane remaining in the pipe and he said it would just sink to the lowest point of the pipe (outside the house by the cylinder) and gradually dissipate from there.

So I'm not sure what he added really, other than being less thorough than I would have been about getting the remaining gas out of the pipe!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back