stripping paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've painted a couple of interior doors by just cleaning and painting over previous coat.
It doesn't last. The surface soon gets mucky and a little bit flaky. So I'm wondering if I need to strip back to the wood and re-prime / re-paint? If so I wonder how? I recently used a blowlamp - actually a weed burner! - and that worked great in getting paint off a bit of wood somebody gave me to make a seat for my boat.
I can try that on one of the doors, I'm sure it'll be fine. But t'other door has glass in the top 2 panels. So ... does paint melt at a lower temperature than the temp at which glass cracks ??!
Grateful for any advice.
- Terry.

Sponsored Links
Its the way youre painting that's the problem

Simply cleaning and slapping some paint on will not work , the paint will not bond and will peel off in no time

If there is no thick build up of paint , give the door a really good sand with wet and dry (wet) , coat of primer, couple of coats of undercoat and a topcoat , giving the door a light sanding between coats

Don't forget to use paint for wood (oil based is better) and buy a decent paint not the cheapest

Thanks sircerebus666. I'm not familiar with what "wet and dry" is, other than I know it's to do with sandpaper.
I'll have to google it or maybe you can advise?
Thanks from Terry.

Sponsored Links
Ah thanks. So where the first step is to give the door a really good sand, is this to take all the paint off and get right back to the wood?

No no not necessary yohgjve the door a good sand to provide a key for the paint and to remove any paint runs and any other dodgy painting

Ah thanks sircerebus666. Yeah, anyone I've known who served in the merchant navy, other than as an officer, seemed to spend most of their time painting. Maybe that was because they just sloshed it on over what was already there lol! Looks like prep is the main thing. Though I had hoped modern science might have produced a wonder paint that you could just put on, like say those pints you can paint on straight over rust sort of thing.
- Terry.

Ah thanks sircerebus666. Yeah, anyone I've known who served in the merchant navy, other than as an officer, seemed to spend most of their time painting. Maybe that was because they just sloshed it on over what was already there lol! Looks like prep is the main thing. Though I had hoped modern science might have produced a wonder paint that you could just put on, like say those pints you can paint on straight over rust sort of thing.
- Terry.

I wish! Preps the most boring part! prep is 80% painting 20% to decorating, the better the prep the better the finish

Blimey was this two and a half months ago!! Any ideas for topcoat sircerebus666? Or anyone else.
Can I use a paint where you can clean the brushes just with water i.e. not white spirit etc.?
TIA and a happy new year, Terry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back