Stripping tails

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have some 16mm tails and I want to use part of it to link a switch to an RCD inside an enclosure, so I want to take the sheathing off but leave the insulated core. I do not have such a big stripper.

Will it be in order to score the sheathing with a craft knife, or is there a better way that does not risk nicking the insulation?

Sponsored Links
If you strip off a little of the sheath by what ever method you prefer, (i nip it with side cutters). Then grip with one hand the now exposed inner core, and with the other hand twist the outer core (abit like a throttle on a motorbike). Work your way down the cable, and when you reach the end you should be able to slide the whole sheath off.

I can sometimes be a bit arkward to get it started, but once you have it is quite easy.

You can score it with a craft knife, but be very careful not to score the inner insulation too, or this may split too when the cable is bent into place.

Ta!
sheep.gif

have a banana!
bananadance.gif

JohnD said:
big stripper.
I'd complain to the management of the establishment if I were you... :LOL:

Anyway, what you need a standley knife and a bit of care, cut along it nearly all the way through from but not quite and peel it off, similar to how I do T&E ends, score a ring through the sheath at the point you want to remove it from, then run the knife from the end against the CPC to the scored point, then just remove it, and then its nice and neat... much better than snip, grab hold of cpc with cutters, pull, then snip empty sheath away :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back