Stripping wooden windows

Sponsored Links
trotter said:
oilman said:
If you are going to take out the old putty, you could try Setting up a router to do it, just skimming the wood. If you have bare wood where the putty will go, you need to paint on a coat of shellac to stop the oil being dragged out og the putty.

Are you going to use linseed oil paint?

I might well do, would you recommend it?

Would you use linseed oil AND shellac on the bare wood before puttying / painting? Or is it a case of choosing one for the job?

And does this affect the paint I should use?

i would personaly say a router would be a little impractical
you couldnt use a router bit with a bearing so you would need to secure battons to run against
you would also not be able to router the edges because of the frame and the baseplate
i also am not shure how the cutters and glass will interact where they touch
as well as said above the pins [brads ]holding the glass in not only will they catch on the router cutter they will probably be proppeld in a random fashion

much better to use an old chisel at rigt angles to the glass tapped in parralel with the glass along the rebate ;)

JohnD said:
This is the wrong time of year for painting external joinery.

I suppose you could take the casements (or sashes) off and bring them inside to dry out for painting... you will be able to paint the frames better that way too ;)

That's the plan John, hence why I need the quicker drying paint...

Thanks for the replies but just to reiterate my question:

Will Dulux 'fast drying' gloss work OK with Dulux 'primer and undercoat in one'?

Only reason I ask is that the gloss states it doesn't need an undercoat but as Joe said earlier in the thread - undercoat makes for a better job...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back