Strong boy for steel hole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it usual to prop up brickwork when putting a hole in for padstone and steel end?

The wall is the existing external leaf of a 1970s property, 65mm bricks, 100mm cavity.

the padstone is 440x215 and the room required to get the end of the steel in is about the same, so the hole would be approximately 900mm high and 500mm wide to be safe.

Above the hole is the upper floor elevation and then t he roof gable on top of that.

I’d need to make the hole, lay my courses of blue bricks, let that go off for a few days, then put the steel in, then patch up. So the hole would be open for say five days.

Just wondering what is usual; first timer here. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming there's a reasonable triangle of brickwork above it I wouldn't prop that. Your opening sounds a bit tall for a 215 padstone and a steel.

Sorry mate you’re correct I meant 500mm wide and 500mm tall, there isn’t a triangle above theres the second floor elevation and the gable on top of that

thanks for reply

What cdbe meant is illustrated in the second diagram of this article:
https://www.brickbrace.com/brick-brace-weight-chart/

photo-15.jpg

You can see that it is possible to remove one brick and the rest of the wall is still supported by the remaining brickwork alongside.
It is possible to remove two bricks, and one additional brick immediately above might fall, but that's it, assuming a reasonably sound wall.
Additionally, you can remove three bricks, and then two in the course immediately above would be unsupported, and one more in the course above that would be unsupported.
So you can imagine a triangle of unsupported brickwork depending on how many bricks you remove.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Fantastic Bobby thank you for your help, it makes sense now. My daughter had a Humpty Dumpty game where you remove as many bricks as you can before he falls, I run some simulations. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back