Structural engineering book recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for easily readable books on the subject. I don't want to be qualified, I just have a number of projects involving smaller structures in the garden and want to understand how to size them.

Some examples:
1) I want a zip wire in the garden. Calculation of the lateral force on the top of each pole for given weight and drop is straightforward, but how deep should the poles go and how large should they be whether concrete, wood or steel, to support the lateral load?

2) I want a wooden garden structure with tiles on the roof. The tiling manufacturers probably give some help in sizing the trusses, but how large should the wall studs be for given tile weight?

3) I want a gazebo, again with tiled roof. How deep/what foundation for the pillars? How many pillars/how large do they need to be?

cheers,
S.

Sponsored Links
Having studied structures many years ago I doubt you will find the books that helpful. While some structures are really easy to follow, you would need a broader understanding than most books can help you with. Gross over design is one way of dealling with some situations to avoid having to consider all the other considerations that would need to be taken into account. Then of course there is the old fallback - experience and knowing what will work.

Incidentally when it comes to pitched roofs be careful you don't fall foul of planning laws regards height.

Your "Calculation of the lateral force on the top of each pole for given weight and drop is straightforward". To a point it is but when you start adding in the less obvious forces it can really get interesting. Consider the dynamics of what happens on a zip wire with a weight being thrown around.

As an extreme example - consider how some engineering projects fail despite the extensive knowledge going into them. Bridges that collapse especially the suspension ones that the winds play with.

Building Construction Handbook by Chudley. I'm not sure what the latest edition is.

Other one for pure design is Design of Structural Elements, or could be Structural Element Design.

He could look at Barry's books as well, all give a general introduction to buildings and structures but so far as I can remember don't go into the detail to give the answers the OP will ultimately need. "Design of Structural Elements" is not one I have seen but all of Woody's are downloadable .pdf files. If you asked me to do real calculations now I could not do them, too long ago and forgotten. once I started work the SE's did the working out and presented the solutions. I would be limited to simple loadings and looking them up in the tables. But then again even all my tables on steel beams and columns went on the bonfire a few years ago.

There is no real shortcut to structural design. - The OP might consider asking a student to sit down with him to help with the specific calcs to start with.

Sponsored Links
Very good one day courses are run by the Chartered Association of Building Engineers. They are practical and describe everyday situations where beams will be commonly used for extensions or lofts.

The courses are pitched towards building control officers, but if you've got a good understanding already but just lack the design skills, then you'll be OK.

www.cbuilde.com/events/

Building Construction Handbook by Chudley. I'm not sure what the latest edition is.

Other one for pure design is Design of Structural Elements, or could be Structural Element Design.

That's an excellent recommendation woody. Wish I'd had the Chudley book 10 years ago. I've read part of it from a PDF I downloaded but I'll probably buy the real thing so I can read it away from the computer. Floor loading, soil testing, scaffolding, shoring all covered pretty well. Not quite everything you need but a great start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back