permanent scaffold structure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, need some advice please,
i want a very simple and CHEAP car shelter in the back garden. the garden is large and the structure will not be visible as it will backing a tall hedge and under mature trees.
the size of the structure is 6m in depth and 7 meters length. i want to get a resin roof( possibly corrugated) to reduce rain noise.
can i erect this building using scaffolding?and use it as a permeant structure? (if i could erect it i would call a professional to erect it)
i would place the legs in foundation for stability.
my gardener who is pretty good with the work he does but does get carried away with costs; has quoted me figures of 3-4K for a metal framed structure. that is more then the cars are worth!
scaffold seem so much cheaper.
if this is a poor idea can you please point me in the right direction with how/if possible i can construct this car shelter on the cheap.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yeah, no problem. There's a scaffold firm near us, which has a large permanent scaffold structure. They've used corrugated tin sheets for the roof, with the sides open. Its been there for ages.

many thanks for the replies.
unless the timber is hardwood which would bring the costs up would timber even if it is ‘treated’ not rot if placed in 1-2 feet of foundation? sorry about my naivety
having simple sides in cheap wood or corrugated would be ideal.
thanks again

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to factor in the wind loading, snow loading and depreciation when designing the structure, in particular where the tubes will be concreted in etc.

You will probably need to line the inside as well as the outside.

£4k for a 42m² is a joke and works out less than £100 per metre. You will end up with a shanty shack at that price.

Have you considered planning permission?

Have you considered building reg's?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Scaffold poles are difficult to join. Yes I know you can use the clips, but they are very big, so side sheeting will not be flat against uprights. Also I have never seen a clip to join two poles at an acute angle ("roof joist" to cross member. You will also need a million U or J clips to fasten your sheeting to scaffold poles.
I recently worked in a corrugated iron garage (5m X 6m), the whole framing was in 2" X 2" angle which was welded. The sheeting was held on with J clips for the roof and, for the walls self tappers into the angle iron.
Make sure that the corners are securely braced (difficult with S poles), say at least 2' down from the roof edge and 2' from a vertical pole.
I would research on agricultural Dutch barns, You might get a second hand one.
Frank

That thing on ebay looks pretty flimsy!

Look up pole barns. Few big posts in the ground with a framework on top, and away you go. Braces between posts and roof add a lot of strength, especially if it's windy.

If you want to add sides (cladding of some sort) this will push the price up quite a bit.

Not sure I would worry about rain noise unless you plan on living inside it!

Consider something like Kee Clamps rather than standard scaffold clamps - much neater and they do a wide range of fittings. Cost soon adds up though :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back