Neighbours errecting a 12-14 toy hut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice please. My neighbour has started erecting a "tree hut" type structure for his kids to play in, the problem is it is over 12 foot tall and the kids when standing on its platform can look right into our garden. I have spoken with him but he seems unaware of the impact that this structure will have on our privacy. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks Stevie

Sponsored Links
Contact your local planning office and ask them, sure there is a rule of 4 metres for outbuildings, but this may depend on distance from boundary and house.

Sponsored Links
Hi Scottie66,

If the tree house is very basic, then such things can be a bit of a grey area in planning law. For example two planks of wood tacked up in a tree with a rope hanging down is unlikely to be significant enough to require planning permission (i.e. it's unlikely to constitute "development").

However, if the tree house is more substantial, and requires planning permission, then it will almost certainly NOT be permitted development, so will almost certainly require an application to the Council for planning permission. This is because under permitted development legislation, a garden structure is restricted to a maximum height above ground level of 4m/3m/2.5m (depending on design of roof and proximity to boundary), and furthermore, no garden structure can include a "veranda, balcony or raised platform" (with raised defined as more than 0.3m above ground level). Most tree houses will breach both of these types of restrictions.

Hence, as advised by snico and freddymercurystwin, your best bet (if you can't reach a compromise with your neighbour) is probably to phone your Council's planning enforcement section, and ask them to investigate.

:) Steve

Hence, as advised by snico and freddymercurystwin, your best bet (if you can't reach a compromise with your neighbour) is probably to phone your Council's planning enforcement section, and ask them to investigate.
I feel a bit like Cinderella :cry:

It's a sorry state of affairs when a treehouse becomes a planning issue! FFS, what are you doing in your garden that you're so desperate to prevent your neighbour's kids from seeing?

It's a sorry state of affairs when a treehouse becomes a planning issue! FFS, what are you doing in your garden that you're so desperate to prevent your neighbour's kids from seeing?
Well yes and no Ossy, if your neighbours kids were constantly spying into your garden I suspect your attitude would change instantly.

we have no objections to the kids playing, however this is our "own space" and like the idea of having some privacy, hence the reason why most people erect a fence between their neighbours property. if i wanted to be viewed like a gold fish, i would instal a bowl in my garden, :LOL:

Maximum boundary permitted between neighbours is 2 metres high, but as this is on their land and probably won't be classed as permanent structure, you may have little comeback. However, you could argue the structure blocks out your light etc - definitely worth speaking to council about what a tree house is classed as.

Alternatively, you could just accept most of us have neighbours of all ages and let the kids enjoy themselves! (Or get youself a huge trampoline and spend all day bouncing on it, peering onto their side)...

Maximum boundary permitted between neighbours is 2 metres high, but as this is on their land and probably won't be classed as permanent structure, you may have little comeback. However, you could argue the structure blocks out your light etc - definitely worth speaking to council about what a tree house is classed as.
That’s neither relevant or accurate; the latest guidelines (see the Planning Portal link I posted) for outbuildings is quiet specific & precedent has also been set in the case of tree houses, elevated platforms & enforcement action to remove them.

Didn't mean to mislead, but I thought there was a difference between temporary and permanent structures, which is why people often do not need planning permission for summerhouses, home offices in the garden etc...

I thought there was a difference between temporary and permanent structures, which is why people often do not need planning permission for summerhouses, home offices in the garden etc...
No this is a bit duff too, there is no distinction between temporary and permanent structures now, they all come under 'outbuildings' be they concrete garages or lightweight sheds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back