Using fence posts instead of structural posts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am about to embark on constructing a car port style structure to house a golf simulator in the back garden.

It will basically be x4 upright posts with a flat roof (timber joists with bitumen sheets). The size will be 2.8m high, 6m long and 3m wide.

Now I know this is a silly question, but I will ask it anyway. Can I get away with 150x150mm treated fence posts, sunk 60cm in concrete?

Structural oak posts are 150% more expensive. Im hoping is it is more of a shelter style construction i can get away with using the fence posts.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wooden posts ALWAYS rot at ground level. However, yes you could get away with standard timber posts. You just need to mitigate racking and wind load when building it. You will need about 800 in the ground with a 3m tall structure.

Thank you.
One side and one end will be shielded by neighbours fences for about 2/3 of the height.
At the other end the posts will be sitting flat to my concrete garage. I may bolt the posts to the garage to add extra support.

At that height I think you'll need planning if less than 2m from boundary.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back