Using non pressure treated/non tanalised Fence Posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, not sure if this is the best place for this, or 'in the garden', moderators feel free to move it if needs be.

I've got a stack of 8ft long 4" thick posts from a friend. They're apparently used as some sort of packing material for large engines, and are usually left in a skip at his work.

I'd like to use these as fence posts, but they're not pressure treated/tanalised. Will I get away with a paint on treatment before they're sunk, or will they likely just crumble to nothing within a couple of years?

Opinions appreciated folks.

Sponsored Links
I think paint is not very good in these kind of situations, you need a penetrative treatment really, ie some kind of oil or preservtive which soaks in.

That's what pressure treating does - it forces the preservative chemical right into the wood.

If you install them with the conc built up to above ground level and finished off with a pyramid or dome shape so water can't "pool" around the post they will fair better.

If you can dip the sunken length in some tar (bitumen/road tar or similar) and paint the above ground with either a microporous paint or wood protector, should be OK...pinenot :)

I think I might be able to lay my hands on some 'blackjack' bitumen paint (if that's any good?), and have no problem with the concrete being a bit proud of the ground as it's going to have gravel/slate chippings down anyway, which should disguise that slightly.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking more the hot stuff, don't know the paint you're referring to.
You can buy easy melt bitumen, or speak to a local roofer, who does felt roofing, a dip in the boiler (and a small backhander) is all that's needed...pinenot :)

It's a bad idea, and when they fail you'll have to dig the mouldy stumps out. Paint an oil based preservative all over, and bolt them onto concrete spurs. At least that way they are out of the ground.

Lol, thanks for the input chaps.

I think I might just buy some pressure treated posts and use the other stuff for some heavy duty framework for a shed. :)

About 8 years ago I used untreated fence posts. A gallon of Cuprinol in buckets and stand the posts in the buckets for a week or so. Mine are still sound after that treatment. It may be cheaper to get treated posts rather than pay for Cuprinol.

Cuprinol shed n fence used to be decent stuff, but I think they changed the formula a couple of years ago, probably VOC rules or something but it's not quite as potent.

I've yet to see any timber products that last beyond a few years, even treated timber.

As said, use concrete products in the ground. Using wood is a cop-out and false economy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back