Using Tanalised Timber inside a childrens nursery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son attends a children nursery with about 30 other children. I noticed when I dropped him off today that over the weekend in one of the rooms a timber structure had been installed. This was basically a corner of the room with a picket fence to form a separate enclosure with a gate.

Again, this is inside an existing internal room. The timber used to construct the enclosure seemed to be tanalised pressure treated which I thought was a little odd. As children in this room are in the age group of 2-3 years, they are still very much exploring with their hands and mouths. I can understand that if the structure was outside there would be a requirement to prevent rot and therefore use pressure treated timber, but as this was inside the nursery surely non treated sawn/planed timber should have been specified? I've questioned the nursery manager and she is investigating further.

I know the likelihood of kids being very unwell from chewing on this stuff might be low, but why take the risk!

Any opinions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

I recall from building our house with tanalised structural timber there were concerns but not exactly what they were ( over 35 years ago )

http://www.tanalisedtimber.co.uk/Using-Tanalised-Timber/FAQs

Is TANALISED timber safe to use in children's playgrounds?

TANALISED Timber is safe to use for structures in and around children's play areas. With regard to any concerns that the children may 'chew' or 'eat' the treated timber, we have to conduct safety studies to demonstrate safe use of our products as part of their approval process. These studies have shown that the preservative within the timber would not cause harm to a child in the quantities that they are able to 'eat' or 'chew'. Please see our Treated Timber User Guide for more information on the use of TANALISED timber.

But on the other side

http://www.recycledplasticbuildingmaterials.co.uk/warnings-concerning-tanalised-wood-timber.html

Why Recycled Plastic Profiles are safer than Tanalised Wood'

The preservation of timber/wood (tanalising) used to be carried out using a mixture of salts of copper sulphate, potassium dichromate and arsenic pentoxide.

The timber was pressure injected with the preservation liquid in large pressure cylinders, after which it was stacked in the yard while still wet with preservation chemicals. It was not sold till completely dry to reduce contamination.

This was fine in dry conditions, but in the wet, the chemicals could leach out, and the arsenic is transferred to the hands simply from touching the timber.

Children, in particular, are prone to use their hands for eating without washing them first, and can get arsenic poisoning as a result. Food plants grown near tanalised decking can accumulate sufficient chromium to cause symptoms of heavy metal poisoning in anyone eating the produce.

A family in the Antipodes (Australasia) used offcuts of tanalised timber on their barbeque. The cooked meat killed their dog and resulted in the prolonged hospitalisation of the entire family.

Recommendations include avoiding drilling or sawing or use a dust mask if this is unavoidable. Wash thoroughly after touching tanalised timber, and avoid use where people are likely to come into direct contact with the treated timber.

Arsenic has been banned for tanalising in Europe since 2006, although the current tanalising process has been found to be less effective without the arsenic content. The replacement process - Tanalised E - uses copper and triazole biocides - an organic anti-fungal treatment commonly used to protect food crops.

NEVER burn any kind of tanalised timber such as old painted timber or boards, which contain formaldehyde resins (i.e. most plywoods, chipboard, and MDF). Tanalised E may be burned in approved industrial incinerators only, but should not be burned in open fires or home wood burners.

Recycled Plastic Planks and Profiles do not rot and/or leach anything into the soil and are safer therefore than tanalised wood. Kedel's recycled plastic materials are resistant to most chemicals and are safe to use in all agricultural applications or near children, animals, fish etc. without fear of toxicity or pollution. Technical specification available on request.

Sponsored Links
It's a valid question woody. I always give my Grandson a lump of 4x2 prepared or CLS to chew, but I wouldn't dream of giving him tanalised.

Shame on you. Call yourself a brickie? :rolleyes:

It should be pieces of thermalite while teething, and then 7N Topcretes. Disgraceful.

That's helpful Woody. You think it's fine then?

Sorry, but I'm still shocked at the question.

The dye that the clothes you're wearing would kill you if you swallowed a boat load of it.

Your looking for problems that don't exist. And have not even thought about the splinters that some poor kid would get chewing that fence. And heaven forbid they start licking the floor tiles.

If they are chewing the tanalised timber you could try creosote, it works for horses, horses seem to love the taste of tanalised timber.

But seriously I would have thought the nursery should have specified none tanalised timber. Would have been cheaper for one thing and I do agree with you it's not worth the risk.
I know it's slightly different but I do know people who worked with a lot of fresh tanalised timber and now get skin rashes when they come into contact with it.

Last edited:
SMH

If this is Tanalised, ie Tanalith preservative, then the timber (and the preservative) is perfectly safe once the tretment is dry. The only risk is in the treatment process.

I would suspect that its the same for any other common preservative available from the local merchants.

You may note that its used in all the external play parks too. And these tend to be frequented by kids.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back