Structural issues on proposed purchase - what do they mean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new here - so apologies in advance if in the wrong place.

Im currently buying a property and despite all the red flags and warning from others i still want to buy it.... its not in a good condition, and i know that. I just dont know EXACTLY whats wrong with it....

I've had a structural survey - but was unable to speak to the surveyor myself to get more info - the report details 7 specific points - a couple i have worked out.. ut im still confused.

I need to try and get quotes for the works - ie ball park to see if its worth going ahead with the sale.. but since i dont understand exactly what work im needing doing - its proving difficult. Plus the house is in a different area to where im currently living, as i would be relocating.

Any advise would be great - i just want to understand whats needed - i have put what i think they are asking afterwards...... please help:

1. We understand that you have already obtained a price for carrying out the stripping and relying of the roof of the property. This price should also include for augmenting purlins as necessary. This includes for above the rear annex and also the garage block. When the roofing is undertaken, we would also recommend that truss end to the support above the garage doorway opening be exposed with action taken as necessary. (Literally rip the whole roof off, inc the beams/ timber frame and rebuild from the start)

2. All elevations should be provided with additional restraint to tie elevation walls back into the both and first and attic floor systems and also into all solid partition walls (to all floors). (Strapping i beleive - but unsure?)

3. The corroding steel heads above the garage doorway openings should be taken out and replaced with appropriately sized members. Adequate temporary works should be provided before this operation is undertaken. (Garage roof could potentiall fall down at any moment, due to correded steel - roofs needs immediate propping and replacement of lintel?)

4. Displaced masonry at the truss support above the garage doorway opening should be re-bedded in place. (i have no clue with this one? is something sticking out that should not be? is it because of point number 3?)

5. Leaning chimney stacks should be taken down and rebuilt or taken down to roof level and appropriately capped. (rebuild chimneys - but would do as whole roof would be rebuilt, re point 1?)

6. As a result of the cracking which has taken place, several areas of render were found to be ‘hollow’. These will require repairing. (Re render the whole house? ie take of and redo?)

7. Timber lintels in the elevation walls should be taken out and replaced by appropriately sized concrete lintels or similar. (is this the lintels above windows? or do walls have lintels? also what on earth is an elevation wall)

Please help :)

Sponsored Links
Although there's a lot needs doing, it's all quite doable. Replacing lintels for example isn't a big deal.

Replacing the house roof is straightforward -easier tbh than doing lots of remedial repair work.

It sounds from the detail as the roof is knackered and has dropped and or is not tied causing damage to the masonry.

Are there any foundation, settlement, drainage issues?

Can you post any pictures as that will really help give the pros here to give advice.

I think it is all pretty straight forward.
1 - Yes
2 - Yes
3 - Yes
4 - Possibly linked but wouldn’t know without inspection
5 - This would be carried out independently of the roof replacement. You builder can advise the best way to approach it
6 - you could re-render the full house but unlikely to be needed. Appears to need localised repair
7 - most likely above the doors/ windows on the side elevations

Get a builder round and show him a copy of the report. He can provide a ball park to rectify and hopefully you can reduce the price of your offer to compensate unless it is cheap anyway

Sponsored Links
Yes like all have said work is do able but you need to look at it from a investment angle too.

Price you going to pay for property and costs for purchase.

Look at similar properties in the area that are in good/excellent condition.

This will give you an idea of what your max budget should be to sort and correct.

How long has the property been on the market. If it been a while it may indicate that the work is costly and time frame lengthy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back