Structural problems advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice.

A few weeks ago I noticed a few cracks in the walls and ceilings of my house. Some of them were old cracks that had been filled in about 5 yrs ago. Some were new.

Last week I noticed that the ceiling above the landing was quite cracked - quite long spidery ones that seem to be trying to join each other or the ones on the wall. I'm not sure if these were new or if it was the bright sunlight that made them more noticeable.

A couple of the cracks downstairs join from ceiling to skirting board.

None are much bigger than hairline.

Is my house about to fall down?

I have been up in the loft and although the brickwork looks like it needs repointing it doesn't look too sinister. Outside, the gable wall looks like it might be bulging slightly and there is a bit of a strange vertical line on the outside wall close to the roof apex. Also the gable end point of the roof seems to be a bit higher than the rest of it.

One outside wall seems to be cracked.

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Hairline cracks are rarely a problem. They've probably been there a long time but you just noticed them. Once you notice one crack and start looking you will see lots. It's tempting to think that you have a problem.

My advice is keep a record of the cracks and check again in 6 months time. It can be difficult to photograph them but give that a try. Otherwise you could put a light pencil mark at the tips of the cracks so when you look again you will be able to see if they have spread. If you don't fancy pencil marks on your walls/ceiling you could draw the rough pattern of the cracks on paper and take the measurements.

Your house is not falling down so whatever you don don't panic.

Thanks John. You may be right. All winter i would not have noticed the cracks cos of lighting. They are obvious in sunny daylight conditions. And once you start looking for something you don't want to see

The thing that worries me is that if it is subsidence that it might have existed when i bought the house and the insurance might not cover any repairs.

If the cracks get worse, who do i contact?

And just out of interest, are you a builder or something?

Thanks again,
Milly

How long have you had the house?
Has there been any modifications to it, before or since you bought it?
I just wondered if perhaps some roofwork had been done? Sometimes old tiles are replaced with new much heavier ones that can load up the roof more than they were designed for...... Just a thought.

Well done for getting up there and having a look, but as Jeds says, just keep an eye on it. And if they do get worse, ask a couple of builders to come and have a look, but you'll probably need to get a structural engineer in the end.

All the best.

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling that the beams or rafters might not be right. Also am convinced that gable end wall has a slight curve in it.

I've been in the house for 5 years and have had no structural work done.

When i bought it i didn't have a full survey (I know, I know).

There were a few hairline cracks - not many - and i filled them with Polyfilla type stuff.

Milly,

Insurance companies will barely raise an eyebrow at cracks up to about 5mm so it is going to have to get a lot worse before they would even take a look. I am a chartered surveyor and I look at a lot of houses. The vast majority have some sort of hairline cracking somewhere - mostly due to normal flexing and thermal movement.

I really don't think you should worry about subsidence. What you describe sounds nothing like typical subsidence cracking. From your description most of the cracking seems to be at roof level. Older houses sometimes suffer from roof flex due to the way the roof was constructed. If you really are worried have somebody look at the roof first to make sure there is nothing obviously wrong.

But for the time being I think you can just keep an eye one it and see what happens. If it starts to get worse then ask again.

Thanks John, I suspect that I am making a mountain out of a molehill or something. Or is that just wishful thinking?

Should I attempt any repairs (filler/replacing mortar)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back