Structural survey

I

imamartian

i have searched this site, and most of what i've found is about the survey you need when you purchase a property.

I have been in my house 10 years or so, and i'm concerned about how the house vibrates when the back door is (energetically) shut (by one of my kids !!). Also about how the upstairs floors 'bounce' when walked on.

Plus i'd like to know for definate if i can remove the wall between my kitchen and dining room. Or whether it's load bearing.

So what sort of survey do i need and how much can i expect to pay?

Many thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
If you are concerned about the structural integrity of your property,
It could well be cheaper getting a report from and SE (structural engineer)
especially if you are considering removing any structural walls as they will supply you with on-site calculation, that can be given as evidence to building controls for compliance (providing you comply to the SE's recommendations that is)

When purchasing a house there are number surveys that can be done.

But the one which you seem to be indicating would be:

A full structural survey
which will include

A building inspection
A full survey report
A property valuation

This should pick up on any minor and major problems, also give you details on what materials the house is built of, and the way it was constructed.
Costing upwards of £700, depending on location and size of property.

But I doubt very much if they would offer calculations for structural work.
You could get that done for half that price.
Worth making a few phone calls.

Talk to a structural engineer, should be able to do something for around the £500 region.. if you are just interested in the 3 items you list.. maybe less..

Surveyors doing "surveys" tend to price depending on your property size and cost.. whereas an SE will price on time and travel and give you a structural inspection report..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back