Structural wall removed and supported but this bottom of an upstairs fireplace remains - What to do?

K

kettlejim

This picture shows two RSJ's supporting the wall that's been removed. There's a fireplace directly above in the room.
You can see the bottom of what looks to be the base of the fireplace.
What would be the correct way to deal with this as although it looks safe it's a massive chunk of unsupported "rubble" that may or may not be secure and that would theoretically be free to fall down at any moment?

Is this type of thing common?

https://wtf.roflcopter.fr/pics/gallery#u8mAcHzV/wEpaArgV.jpg&gid=1&pid=1

In the picture you are looking directly up where the chimney and lower wall has been removed and you can see the two steels with the what looks to be the bottom of the upstairs fireplace

This picture shows the same room that the steels are in but it's at one end adjacent to the wall. There was a small pier that was adjacent to the wall and connected to the bricks above possibly all or a few - I'm not sure.
The small brick pier was taken down
The bricks stop where the upstairs wall stops and turns into some sort of hollow structure which I presume is lath, plaster and wood

Here is the below picture of the brick wall that's had it's supporting small pier removed and it's now resting just on joists. What is the best and correct way to deal with this? Thank you

https://wtf.roflcopter.fr/pics/gallery#gUR81JIA/H2nAUxLw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I understand it. You have two steels, one supporting an upstairs wall and one supporting the outer edge of a chimney breast? You're worried about some crap falling out of the chimney? Block the bottom with some bricks, offcuts of blocks or paving slabs between the steels - or put your hard hat on and poke it with a stick.

You have a small brick pier on the first floor joists? If its been unsupported for a while and there's no excessive deflection of the joists, and it's tied into the perpendicular wall and not carrying any load from the roof then just leave it, or replace with studwork if it bothers you.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I understand it. You have two steels, one supporting an upstairs wall and one supporting the outer edge of a chimney breast? You're worried about some crap falling out of the chimney? Block the bottom with some bricks, offcuts of blocks or paving slabs between the steels - or put your hard hat on and poke it with a stick.
Thank you for taking a look at this. Yes there are two steels supporting the wall and outside of the chimney breast. Yes I'm worried about that hardcore bundle falling out of the chimney. What is that hardcore bundle is it the base of the fire and if so how firmly would that be in there do you know?
Block the bottom with some bricks, offcuts of blocks or paving slabs between the steels
Yes so you mean use the space between the RSJ's to support a concrete structure going across which in turn would support anything coming from the chimney
You have a small brick pier on the first floor joists? If its been unsupported for a while and there's no excessive deflection of the joists, and it's tied into the perpendicular wall and not carrying any load from the roof then just leave it, or replace with studwork if it bothers you.
I was wondering if we could construct some type of structure like a small gallows bracket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back