Lining the internal walls of a fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

So I'm installing the fireplace in the pic. I wanted it to be open so I've removed the bricks back to the builders opening as per the second pic. All good.

In gonna install a small decorative gas fire in the middle of the opening.

The fire will be a decent distance from each of the walls about 5 inches from side walls and a 2 or 3 from the rear.

The internal fireplace walls have a cement rendering, solid on the back and a bit patchy on the sides.

I want to make sure that the walls/bricks are adequately protected from the flames and heat. Would just patching up the cement render be enough? Do I need to line with bricks to protect the structural bricks? Would a lining of fibreboard be ok?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
You first of all have to work to Mfr's instructions - and dimensions (if any).

Typically, you can render in a 3:1 sand and cement render all three surfaces of the opening.

Wire brush off all sooty surfaces and prime them with SBR and water, and then a slurry of SBR, water and a light mix of sand and cement. Then render.

The flue(s) should be swept and smoke tested.

Other arrangements ref stack terminals and gas supply depend on the GSI - talk to one now to get a heads up.

I'm guessing you are having a DFE fire put in. Lime render is more heat resistant than cement, although those fires don't throw out too much heat.
Best to talk to the fitter first when you have decided on which fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back