Struggling to remove beading on door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm trying to remove the beading of the glazing on my new rear UPVC door, because it's currently glass, and I want to change it for a UPVC panel with a cat flap (so when we go to sell the house, I can swap out the cat flap panel for the glazing again)

From how-tos online it looks like it should be easy, but a combination of the fear of mangling the beading, and the beading being very tight has got me stuck.. I just can't seem to get it off. I purchased a moon knife for the job, but that's even thicker than the scraper I was already using..

I suppose I'm looking for a sanity check, because I feel like I'm already butchering the beading but getting nowhere.. how should I be trying to remove this?

Pics of beading, one showing my mangling:
https://imgur.com/a/mqYQgxK

Do I just need to be more.. violent? Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Start in the middle of a side, it can flex more than the mitered corners.

Did you manage to solve this @Daved27? I'm in basically the same situation as you were. My beading looks identical; I bought the moon knife and gave it a bit of a butchering but couldn't get it off either :LOL:. I tried starting in the middle of the long side but still can't get the beading to pop out, even though I can kind of get the knife in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back