Stuart Turner Monsoon Universal 4 bar twin - HUNTING

Sponsored Links
Evening

Well I did your test. Ran hot. Closed mains off. Opened kitchen tap. Then I opened a hot tap upstairs (so I was close to pump so I could hear) and literally it only takes a couple of drops before the pump kicks in. Almost before a drop even comes out.

I did the test again where I turn off the mains, open the kitchen tap then listen to the frequency of the hunting. It seems that quite quickly the hunting becomes more frequent. Usually it is approx every 25 minutes but during this test is starts to cycle every fifteen minutes even after 5 or 6 hours.

I'm not sure about the expansion vessel. There is a small vessel which is a part of the pump itself but I wouldnt know how to measure the pressure. You can see a photo of the pump in my photos.

(tryitandsee, our mains pressure is pretty good but according to british gas it is not good enough to install a megaflow. The pressure did not concern any other plumbers though. I only I had not gone with BG in the first place!)

So, does more frequent hunting with the mains off tell you anything?

Thanks

M

Check pressure in EV , low pressures will cause hunting/nuisance operation , use a bycycle pump that incorporates a pressure gauge.

Any leaks to pressure vessel where it screws into pump will cause the same issues.

Hello

Yesterday I left the mains off all day but left the kitchen tap closed. The hunting occured every 15 minutes when I got home from work (same as when I left the kitchen tap open).

Looking at my photo of the pump, is the EV vessel the balck one on top. Since the problem began with the old pump after having had it working fine for over a year, which was then replaced with a brand new pump, I doubt it would be that.

However I fear uncrewing something and breaking the pump. It looks like there is a nozzle with a plastic cap on the black vessel. Presumably that is where I can measure the pressure.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Let me know when you isolate the pipes to the new bathroom.

Hi doitall. I think I would need a plumber for that as I would need to put a stop cock on the pipes supplying the bathroom or is there an easy way to isolate the pipes without draining the system etc?

Thanks

No. you'll need to drain the pipes and fit full flow lever ball valves.

There most be a point where BG left and the new guys continued.

Yes. But I think the new guys were less capable than BG! They simply drew the water for the loft by connecting the new plastic pipes (going to the loft) to the copper outlet pipes coming away from the pump. But there is no valve to isolate the loft pipes. Simply a T junction of copper to plastic join.

Yes. But I think the new guys were less capable than BG! They simply drew the water for the loft by connecting the new plastic pipes (going to the loft) to the copper outlet pipes coming away from the pump. But there is no valve to isolate the loft pipes. Simply a T junction of copper to plastic join.

That is where you need to isolate it.

I'm convinced as at the start the problem will go away when you isolate the new work. :rolleyes:

I agree the loft needs to be isolated to eliminate it, but then that will require a plumber. I was trying to identify the problem before getting a plumber.

Dont forget every tap, loo, shower and appliance in the house is also new and all the immediate connections to those aswell. But I agree the loft needs to be isolated to eliminate it, but then that will require a plumber. I was trying to identify the problem before getting a plumber.

I was able to isolate separately the loo and sink in the loft but not the mixer shower and this had no effect.

Thanks

Sorry it's the way I think.

You didn't have a problem prior to the work, so why suspect you do immediately after, and none of the test prove otherwise.

They have a leak or an installation error, I'd almost put money on it.

You still haven't exposed the storage tank to see what's happening.

Only because we didnt have mixer taps before but we do now and that may be where th installation error lies. Also the position of loos and sinks and things changed so although they simply had to connect BG's exisiting pipework every installation could be an expected source.

Secondly the hunting took a little time to develop after the works and progressively worse which would be synonymous with a leak but as you know there is nothing visible.

Just to clarify that the underfloor heating in the kitchen can not have anything to do with this could it as its CH.

Whats most crucial is getting a decent plumber in London who has some expertise with these issues. Isn't that like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Any new work or fittings is suspect, starting with the plastic pipe, there I said it.

Give John Brookes (Croydon Corgi) a call, No idea what it's likely to cost, probably down to luck more than anything, but I would recommend him.

02086 811595

Okay. I will do. Thank you very much. I wont be around for a week but will be sure to call him on my return.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back