Stuck between a rock and a hard place

the more i look at what needs doing and the more replies there are to this thread - the better the price looks
IMO it's worryingly cheap... :confused:

not sure if i have missed anything or they are a bit silly ???
Will cables in walls be run in conduit for ease of future changes?

is it worth while asking for an isolator switch to be fitted whilst the work is being done - so that if any work needs doing in the future then the power to the CU can be completly shut off ??
Very much so.

Sponsored Links
For what it will cost for one IMO its not a bad idea.

I might just look further into getting one of these myself... :D

i thought they had to be in some sort of conduit or cover so that you dont accidentally nail thru them

and i assume it makes it easier to plaster over ?

Sponsored Links

i thought they had to be in some sort of conduit or cover so that you dont accidentally nail thru them

Nope. You can esily nail through galv & pvc capping.

and i assume it makes it easier to plaster over ?

The capping is only there to protect the cable from damage during plastering.

It can make it easier to replace that cable in the future.

im going to speak to the guy again and confirm what he is planning - i know he is quoting for radial circuits - but im still not sure thats the way forward

Nothing wrong with this in principle. I've just done a 2 bed flat with the lounge and 2 beds all on their own 20A radials.

13 – would you be able to fit some cat5 sockets if I provide all of the stuff and I do the wiring (you would just need to cut the holes in the wall and make sure the cable run is safe )

Thought you didn't want to pay him for bashing walls...!

the quote wont change with me bashing holes in walls or not :(

the £2.2k figure is what he has quoted .. and it wont change - so i have to live with that

and i thought that the isolator went between the meter and the CU thus allowing you to cut all power to the CU to allow for future upgrading ?

and based on the old wiring i though that he would have to change the tails and due to this he could add an isolator ( im still reading up on the regs so bear with me !! ) - although the quote doesn't mention an upgrade of tails ( unless he naturally includes that with no need to tell the customer )

the only thing that is worrying me is that you are all saying that he is cheap - the only thing i can comment about this is that his wife works in the same building as me - and even she has told him to put his prices up ( not for me of course )

but the flip side of being cheap is that he might get more work due to his cheaper prices

the quote also mentions a test certificate and notification to local building control - so im assuming that its all above board and he is fully qualified ( part p , 17th ed etc.. )

although this thread seems to have gone in varying directions and provoked varying comments, im really glad that i started it as its opened my eyes to a lot of things and even some of the blokes at work have started to look at their wiring and have noticed the old rubber stuff in their houses

i will keep adding to this thread based on that it might help others in the future and the comments made prove that a full rewire isn't a DIY thing !! ( as i have leant :D )

the good thing about all this - i will have a new fully wired house with new windows and doors and a full new heating system ... it should see me right for the next 40 yrs or so

bed time for me - i will check back in the morning !!

Stu

and i thought that the isolator went between the meter and the CU thus allowing you to cut all power to the CU to allow for future upgrading ?

and based on the old wiring i though that he would have to change the tails and due to this he could add an isolator
( im still reading up on the regs so bear with me !! ) - although the quote doesn't mention an upgrade of tails ( unless he naturally includes that with no need to tell the customer )

The isolator generally goes after the meter but to install it the service fuse has to be removed. To do this the electriciaty company's seal has to be broken so the lekky company has to do it.

While they are there they will (usually) upgrade the meter tails and earth conductor.
To comply with BS7671, your electrician will need to provide meter tails from the isolator to the consumer unit that are of the correct size.
That may mean an upgrade to the existing. Or the existing may be up to spec - i cant tell from here........

It does. Although the tails are on your side of the meter they are the property of the DNO.

And have you thought about how you isolate the supply in order to fit the isolator in the first place?

and based on the old wiring i though that he would have to change the tails
To do that he'd have to cut the seals on the meter. Most DNOs turn a blind eye to electricians cutting the fuse seals, even though technically it is illegal, but they tend to get a bit more agitated about meter seals.

and based on the old wiring i though that he would have to change the tails
To do that he'd have to cut the seals on the meter. Most DNOs turn a blind eye to electricians cutting the fuse seals, even though technically it is illegal, but they tend to get a bit more agitated about meter seals.
At my parents house an electrician cut the seals on the meter terminals (not on the meter body though) and service fuse a few years back. Afaict noone has noticed yet (or if they have then they haven't bothered to do anything, not even reseal it)

but the flip side of being cheap is that he might get more work due to his cheaper prices

It may also mean the his work is not very good.

so im assuming that its all above board and he is fully qualified ( part p , 17th ed etc.. )

The old adage of "assume" makes an ass (and so on)...
Don't assume, ask the questions.

If you take this guy on, ask to see the paperwork as/before its submitted & the stuff returned from the LABC.

made prove that a full rewire isn't a DIY thing !! ( as i have leant :D )

I disagree, there is nothing that cannot be done correctly DIY, its all just a matter of how legal it is.

hummm there seems to be some issues regarding fitting an isolator switch regarding who's side is is on etc..

if he is fitting new tails then surely he will have to cut some tags at some point ??

i will ask him anyways - he might say that there is no need for an isolator ( i have read a few posts on this forum and its a mixed bag if to fit them or not - some say its just another possible failure point and some say they are a great idea )

before i commission the work - i will be asking to check his docs etc..

is there a way of checking online to see if they are valid ( you can check corgi numbers online - not sure if you can check a sparky though ?? )

im loving the legal comment - isnt how this thread started !! LOL :D :D

so to isolate before the work is carried out - he will just remove the main fuse .. that could be interesting as its really old and i have no idea what the condition of it is like ?

if he cannot fit an isolator - am i better speaking to the DNO before the work is carried out - or after when it is deemed safe ?

The isolator generally goes after the meter but to install it the service fuse has to be removed.

To comply with BS7671, your electrician will need to provide meter tails from the isolator to the consumer unit that are of the correct size.

so if he is upgrading the tails - will he connect them to the meter ?? and if so - surely this is when a isolator can be added ???

thanks again for all your help on this subject - you are all a fountain of knowledge

Stu

is there a way of checking online to see if they are valid ( you can check corgi numbers online - not sure if you can check a sparky though ?? )
Each scheme will have a list of members, and if you know his name, or company name, you can find out with whom he's registered here: http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

im loving the legal comment - isnt how this thread started !! LOL :D :D
It's quite correct - DIYing is easy to make perfectly legal - you notify, but as you'll have seen from other thread here some LABCs try to stop you.

What is far from easy though is to get it all right.

so to isolate before the work is carried out - he will just remove the main fuse .. that could be interesting as its really old and i have no idea what the condition of it is like ?

if he cannot fit an isolator - am i better speaking to the DNO before the work is carried out - or after when it is deemed safe ?
He'll know what is accepted practice in your area, and how he prefers to work, so he can make the call on whether to involve the DNO, possibly being swayed by the condition of the cutout, if it's flaky.

i have just been reading the local building control and basically for the work i want doing - the council has to be told - but aslong as they chap is registered OK - then he can sign it all off

i have to admit its a mine field of what you can and cant do - and they dont make it very clear

although it does look like i could rewire the upstairs completly and i have no need to tell anyone - as mentioned before - a sparky cannot trust my work and might not want to touch anything else just incase

i think the best way forward with all this is

1 - clear up any issues regarding tails , sockets etc..
2 - check his credentials
3 - rob/beg/borrow steal the cash and get the work done
4 - get the cert and be happy that my house wont burn down
5 - then i can add sockets as need be in the future ( if any ) safe in the knowledge that i dont need to notify the council and i know that the wiring is safe to add more stuff

out of interest - if its done in a 4mm radial - does that mean that if i add a spur - does that have to be in 4mm wiring aswell ??

if thats the case - is it possible to get 3*4mm cables into the back of a socket - or would you run spurs off a junction box ?

Stu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back