Stuck on Wiser 2 channel wiring

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for everyone's help. The wiser isn't powering up T10 and T9 on the hub backplate when they should be on so I presume it is a fault with the hub.
I notice a lot of "New, Other" Wiser hubs for sale on eBay and am wondering if they are faulty returns as not seems strange that there should be so many of them.
I will buy another new Wiser and hopefully that will cure the problem.

If I replace the faulty hub with a new replacement, will it work with my existing wiser account or will I have to wipe it and start again?

Last edited:
A lack of power at the wiring centre doesn't automatically mean the hub is goosed. Have you tried setting the hub up on its nice new backplate (with LNE connected) and testing with your meter at the new backplate?
EDIT You can only have 1 Hub associated with a Wiser account, doesn't appear to be a DELETE option for a Hub so you might have to get on to Drayton and get them to clean your account if you end up with a new Hub

The backplate is pretty much like new and works fine on the Danfoss programmer.
I took the power readings from the back of the hub plate when fitted to either programmer, no problem with reading from the Danfoss but nothing from the wiser.

Sponsored Links
The wiser isn't powering up T10 and T9 on the hub backplate when they should be on so I presume it is a fault with the hub.
That actually indicates a fault with the Wiser. When the Wiser switches 'on' the Heating it should send a live to T9 the hub. Not the other way around.

Likewise when the Wiser switches 'on' the Hot Water it should send a live to T10 the hub.

At the end of the day, as you can see from the diagrams below electrically speaking the two devices are identical. The Two Channel Wiser and the Danfoss FP715 just contain two simple switches. They are identical. So if the Danfoss works, the wiring will be OK. The fault will be with the Wiser.

DANFOSS
fp-jpg.152514

WISER
capture-jpg.221969

When I have come across this before it's been when someone has got a One Channel wiser and is trying to install it as a Two Channel, but we've eliminated that one....
I definitely have the wiser 2 channel.

So, you could always ask Wiser.

0333 6000 622

Whilst it should not make any difference did you test the Wiser Hub on it's own backplate? Just in case there were some small tolerance differences between the Danfoss & Drayton backplates.

Can you confirm your Wiser model number to verify you do indeed have the two channel model. You can easily tell by the number of buttons on the front, the 2 or 3 channel models have three buttons (setup on left & two on right) whilst the 1 channel model has a setup on the left and a single button on the right.

Although based on your checks it does seem like you may have a faulty hub.

I'm happy with the backplate as I got readings from it when fitted to the Danfoss programmer.

But you've got me thinking about the wiser hub
On the back of the hub is
WT734R1S0902

What has got me thinking is the small diagram on the back shows
1 CH
2 HW
3 CH
4 Not used

This is not the same as my backplate.
IMG_6188.jpg

On the front are the 3 buttons so obviously not a kit 1 but how do you tell from looking at the hub if it is a kit 2 or kit 3?

I'm happy with the backplate as I got readings from it when fitted to the Danfoss programmer.

But you've got me thinking about the wiser hub
On the back of the hub is
WT734R1S0902

What has got me thinking is the small diagram on the back shows
1 CH
2 HW
3 CH
4 Not used

This is not the same as my backplate.
View attachment 298898

On the front are the 3 buttons so obviously not a kit 1 but how do you tell from looking at the hub if it is a kit 2 or kit 3?
You have a kit 3 Wiser.

Bugger! but at least the problem hopefully is solved.

NOTE TO DRAYTON

Put the bloody model number on the front of the hub. 1.2 or 3.
It's not rocket science

NOTE TO DRAYTON

It's not rocket science
The box the hub came in will have the model number and it is marked on the back of the hub as you have now seen.

Reactions: CBW

NOTE TO DRAYTON

It's not rocket science
I would agree the names are not very precise. The 4th character of the model number tells you hub variety, hence WT734R1S0904 is the 3 channel model.

The Kit 1 & 2 come with one room stat whilst the Kit 3 comes with two room stats. Depending on what you purchased it may also come with smart TRV's.

Unfortunately Schneider/Drayton use "multi" in many ways. Sometimes it relates to the number of channels (1,2 or 3), or the number of defined rooms (aka zones).

For example
"Drayton by Schneider Electric Multi-Zone Smart Thermostat and 2 Smart Radiator Thermostat Kit - Combination Boilers Only - Heating Control "

which is a single channel model (kit 1) with a pair of TRV's

Even the terminology on Amazon is confusing
"Starter kit - Combi boiler"
"Starter kit - conventional boiler"
"Starter kit - dual zone"

"dual zone" means two heating zones plus hot water - aka 3 channels.

Anyway it seems we have identified the problem which is good.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back