Stuck trying to replace a bulb holder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bulb in my kitchen started blinking very slightly all of a sudden. I thought the bulb was on it's way out and replaced it. That's when the holder came apart as if it had rusted inside.
So, I went off to Screwfix and got this
https://www.screwfix.com/p/straight-loop-in-batten-lamp-holder-bc-2-52/8215d

I switched off the mains and then proceeded to replace the holder. There are two cables coming from the ceiling and each has a red and black cable.

These are the pics I took before unscrewing the cables from the old holder :

20201216-142938.jpg

20201216-142929.jpg

The old holder does not have LIVE, NEUTRAL or EARTH markings on it. But, I saw that two reds were twisted together. So, I thought that means insert it into the LIVE slot. The black cables were confusing. I didn't know if the one I did not have to unscrew ( 1st pic ) had come loose or not.

What I thought would be a simple job turned out to be a messy trial and error for 3 hours.

IMG-20201216-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20201216-WA0011.jpg

I have tried various combinations but just can't get this working.
From memory,
LIVE=R+R + NEUTRAL=B+B = Circuit board trips
L=R+R + G=B+B = Circuit board trips
There were some other combinations I tried where the bulb would not switch on OR the bulb would stay switched on even if the switch was off.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You have a supply from the previous fitting (live = red, neutral = black) and a cable from the switch (permanent live = red, switch live = black that should have a red sleeve on it), you have no earth.

The reds should be connected together, but not to the fitting, if your new lampholder has a loop terminal use this. The previous fitting used the earth holding terminal for this perpose, this is not the best practice, use a bit of connector block or a wago.

Assuming your new lamp holder is baynout type then it doesn't really matter which way around the blacks go, one to N and the other to L, if it was a secrew fitting, you'd have to identify them

You have a supply from the previous fitting (live = red, neutral = black) and a cable from the switch (permanent live = red, switch live = black that should have a red sleeve on it), you have no earth.

The reds should be connected together, but not to the fitting, if your new lampholder has a loop terminal use this. The previous fitting used the earth holding terminal for this perpose, this is not the best practice, use a bit of connector block or a wago.

Assuming your new lamp holder is baynout type then it doesn't really matter which way around the blacks go, one to N and the other to L, if it was a secrew fitting, you'd have to identify them

No black cables have a red sleeve on it. Yes, there is no earth cable.
How do I know if this holder has a loop terminal?
WAGO seems to cost more than the lampholder?!
https://www.screwfix.com/p/2-way-push-wire-connector-773-series-pack-of-100/77102
Yes, it is a bayonet holder

I would use one of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-straight-batten-lamp-holder-bc-3-3/11499

Reds together in loop terminals, one black in L terminal other in N terminal

Thanks. Please excuse my ignorance. How is this better than what I bought yesterday.

Sponsored Links
No black cables have a red sleeve on it. Yes, there is no earth cable.
How do I know if this holder has a loop terminal?
WAGO seems to cost more than the lampholder?!
https://www.screwfix.com/p/2-way-push-wire-connector-773-series-pack-of-100/77102
Yes, it is a bayonet holder

Thanks. Please excuse my ignorance. How is this better than what I bought yesterday.
It has a ceiling rose ,like a junction box ,for making safely all the connections . Including the two red cables that do not connect to the lamp holder.

The leak may have happened when the previous occupier was here.
I have already cut and peeled off two get better contacts :D

So, buy a new holder and then which way do the cables go?

The leak may have happened when the previous occupier was here.
I have already cut and peeled off two get better contacts :D

So, buy a new holder and then which way do the cables go?

reds together, use a chocolate block or wago fitting, if chock block wrap insulation tape around it,

one black in L terminal, the other black in N terminal

reds together, use a chocolate block or wago fitting, if chock block wrap insulation tape around it,

one black in L terminal, the other black in N terminal
The batten lamp holder in link has a rose ,( like a pendant fitting does)why would you need choc blocks or wagos ? The two reds just go into the roses loop terminals.

The batten lamp holder in link has a rose ,( like a pendant fitting does)why would you need choc blocks or wagos ? The two reds just go into the roses loop terminals.

sorry yes your right, i was looking at his original photo when typing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back