Stud Partition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a new kitchen and my dad is helping me out by putting up a stud partition wall. He has put up half the frame and today put up the first piece of plasterboard. I'm a bit concerned though as it doesn't seem too stable.

The wall is 9.5 feet high and he's got studs 24 inches apart, should they be closer together for more stability?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on the thickness of the plasterboard 24in is ok for 12.5mm board but for 9.5mm board 16in centres is recommended.
I suppose the size of timber being used will have some effect on its rigidity and the number of noggins you put in each space.
I'm expecting doing a similar job in the next few weeks using 75mm by 50mm wood with 2 noggins in each space.
I think the partition will be come more stable after the plasterboard has been secured, I'm going avoid using the 'big hammer approach' and use plasterboard screws.
I hope your studs are a tight fit between ceiling plate and floor plate
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The studs will be spaced at 600mm centres to take an 8 x 4 ( 2400 x 1200 ) Plasterboard rather than at 450mm centres for a 6 x 3 ( 1800 x 900 ) board..Fit noggins at 1200mm up from the floor and at 2400mm from the floor at the head of the board.If you skim the wall after boarding you will be surprised how rigid it will be.Hope this helps.

It's looking good today :D

It just needed to be braced to the original wall (about 3 inches away)

Sponsored Links
I'm pleased everything is OK, but how come it's 3 in away from wall. The first stud should be firmly fixed to the wall
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's 3 inches away from the wall because there was an old door, a fireplace and some pipes on the original wall that we wanted to cover.

MANDATE,
with regard to the following,

"I think the partition will be come more stable after the plasterboard has been secured, I'm going avoid using the 'big hammer approach' and use plasterboard screws."

there is a pretty good DIY plasterboard installaion guide here:-
http://www.gyprock.com.au/technical/diy/gyprock/B2AC44E9503C48B9831F72958A4CE598.pdf

I don't know if you guys use "Gyprock" but it sounds similar. As I was securing my first sheet with screws at 300mm centres, the delivery truck with the second half of my p/board arrived. The driver had a bit of a chuckle at the work I had made for myself and then told me the way to go about it. Use adhesive as illustrated in the guide, tap board into place with the palm of your hand, secure top and bottom only of board onto each stud with galv nails or screws and then bang the board along each stud line with your hand. If the board feels loose, at that point drive a nail thru a plasterboard cutoff (30mmx30mm) and thru the plasterboard into the stud.
24hours later, remove the plaster cutoff and nail.
At the end of the process you may only have two or three nail holes to fill rather than many nail/screwheads to fill.

I hope this will save you a bit of work :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back