stud wall in shower area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to do a stud wall in the shower area to take a aqulisa thermo control & 4 jets, can anyone advise me on what type of plaster board to use & how thick, it will be tanked & will have to be strong enough to take 600 x 300 porceline tiles
many thanks guys

Sponsored Links
In shower areas I always prefer to use a tile backer board (Aquapanel or similar) rather than plaster board & especially so with tiles of that size/weight. You won’t need to tank/waterproof it, just tape & seal the joins & tile directly onto it. Use quality trade flexible powdered cement adhesive with tiles of that size & a flexible waterproof grout.

thanks for the info RC, the problem i have is that one wall will be stud & the other is old brick that old tiles on it that was put in the old way onto wet cement & i have hacked them off fewwwwwwwwwwwww was that hard & it was only half way up, the same wall the short side of the shower (900) continues for another 900mm but i have no room to come out with the stud, should i dot dab in MR board or skim the hole wall, hope you understand me,
many thanks

As long as the wall is in reasonable condition & recoverable, I would re-skim it & tile directly over that rather than D&D plasterboard over it.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the help guys, i feel a bit wiser now NOT A LOT, but thanks :D

bit late but you should never tile onto a new skim it need to dry out and that will take weeks - board it

bit late but you should never tile onto a new skim it need to dry out and that will take weeks - board it
If it's just a re-skim you should be able to tile over it after 10-14 days but a float & skim will need around 4 weeks.

Re-skimming the original block walls is by far & away the best solution if they are in a suitable condition to accept it; if not I would I would still go for a float & skim plaster finish. Boarding over is a “quick fix” but, personally, I would only do it as a last resort. Using the wrong boards or incorrectly fixing & prepping them can lead to so many problems just a few years down the line as anyone involved with renovating bath/shower rooms knows only too well! ;)

i would use 3x2 for the stud wall that should be sufficient for what you need, put extra noggins in to strengthen it all.

when ever i have done my own bathroom work i have always boarded out stud walls and skimmed them and to make the whole thing watertight i have tanked the walls that would be subject to water.

as for the other walls , i would always re float then skim em all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back