Stud wall opening size for a 610mm FD30 firefoor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title, need to construct a stud wall with an opening for a 610x1981 FireDoor (which I'll probably get someone to fit and sign off). Will buy a suitable FD30 lining at the same time, (30mm thick), but I need to know how big to make the opening in the stud wall to accomodate this. The chap on the end of the phone is telling me I need an opening of width 610+30+30 but I don't have faith in that - surely I need a slightly bigger one?

Sponsored Links
try it different
12mm fitting gap 30mm frame 3mm round door 610 door 3mm 30mm frame 12mm fitting gap

try it different
12mm fitting gap 30mm frame 3mm round door 610 door 3mm 30mm frame 12mm fitting gap

12mm fitting gap either side? That's a pretty huge gap no? Is that to allow for the opening not being level/straight?

Sponsored Links
FD30 - stuffing with mineral wool, on one side the packers need to be chopped back to 10mm below the face of the door casing jambs. 10mm thick layer of intumescent caulk in the gap on that side (will end up beneath the architrave. If the gap between the casing and the frame is 5mm or less it should be filled with intumescent caulk alone

So 610 + 3 + 3 + 30 +30 + 2 x gap to studs (I generally manage 5 to 10mm) = 686 to 696mm; in height 1981 + 3 + 4 (maximum gap permissable beneath door) + 30 + gap to studs (5 to 10mm) = 2023 to 2028mm

Note that the fire door regs call for a gap of between 2 and 4mm around the three sides but a maximum of 4mm under the door at any point

Last edited by a moderator:
FD30 - stuffing with mineral wool, on one side the packers need to be chopped back to 10mm below the face of the door casing jambs. 10mm thick layer of intumescent caulk in the gap on that side (will end up beneath the architrave. If the gap between the casing and the frame is 5mm or less it should be filled with intumescent caulk alone

So 610 + 3 + 3 + 30 +30 + 2 x gap to studs (I generally manage 5 to 10mm) = 686 to 696mm; in height 1981 + 3 + 4 (maximum gap permissable beneath door) + 30 + gap to studs (5 to 10mm) = 2023 to 2028mm

Note that the fire door regs call for a gap of between 2 and 4mm around the three sides but a maximum of 4mm under the door at any point

Brilliant, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back