Stud wall versus replastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Some advice please. We have bedroom wall which is a mixture of stone and brick. The wall is about 2 foot thick and is solid - no cavity. We believe we have sorted the source of damp in this wall. Now our options are to hack off all the plaster and re plaster the wall - once it has dried out - or fix a false stud wall in front of the main wall and put some vents in the stud wall to allow the main wall to vent. Is putting up a stud wall like this a recognised way of avoiding full re plastering or will it been seen as covering a problem and is likely to cause further issues?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes no problem(As wrightwood work said) with stud wall I have just finished a bedroom with 20" wall and damp coming thru ,I hacked it back to the stone work and racked out all the loose mortar (sand and lime). I put a metal frame (gyproc metal stud system).First time I had used this system and I was well impressed as I have always used wooden stud work. I put 2" polystyrene board against the damp wall and put fibre glass insulation (100mm )inbetween the studs, and boarded and skimmed it (pictures to follow). I have not cured the damp problem. but have stopped it coming thru to the boards,I will tackle the damp when the weather gets better as I know where its comin from. Sorry for rambling on!!! But you can do the same with yours as you say you "have already sorted the source of damp out",,, Mine also had a fire place on the wall which I took out and covered over it. I didn't block it up as I had already put a "pepper pot on the chimney.....

Hi. Thanks for the answers. One other question. How many vents - top and bottom should i put in?

Sponsored Links
There is no need to add ventilation as long you have a vapour control layer, you would only need vents if you have an open fire and a gas fire. In most cases window vents is sufficient

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back