Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the normal size wood used in a partition stud wall?
The wall will be about 4/5m long and will have a door in it.

Sponsored Links
Wickes does (last time I needed them) some timber specially for stud walls. They were very cheap, smooth with rounded corners, and straight. AFAIR in one dimension they are 75mm so with plasterboard the overall wall is 100mm or 110mm if you plaster skim the plasterboard.

Note in order for the wall to be straight and level the timber has to be so choose carefully when buying wood.

Also, you can get taper edged plasterboard which is easy for DIY. The joint between boards starts out as a V groove that you then tape and fill to level. You need a final finish on the plasterboard to make it waterproof.

Would have thought wickses would work out dearer than 4x2 sawn from the merchants ( may be wrong ) but 4x2 plus half inch boards is perfect for a 3mm scim up to a 5" internal door casing .....perrrrrrrfect!

were very cheap, smooth with rounded corners, and straight
I've seen them, but always wondered. Why the rounded corners? Is this just to make them look .. err.. special :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Last time I looked it worked out cheaper from wickes. The difference between a builders' merchent and a chain store I guess. Also the wickes studs are meant to be straight and have the right moisture content AFAIR.

I'm not sure why the round corners. Perhaps you get more from a tree this way. Or perhaps if the stud is not quite square to the board then you don't get a sharp corner digging in to the rear face of the board when it is nailed.

Also, last time I looked door casing came in sizes for 5in and 4in walls. And most builders' merchants can plane them down for you to any size. I had this done as my stud walls are 4in dead since they don't have the 1/4in plaster skim coat.

A 12.5mm board as opposed to a 9.5 will allways work out spot on for a skim to a pre packed off the shelf door casing... seems a lot of bother to have them bespoke made to fit a studding. Know what you mean about cheaper stuff from the sheds when i was in England 8x4 plasterboards were allways a pound cheaper than any of the merchants so chances are so would the studding, but bare in mind are the wickses studs 8ft lengths as opposed to say 14 or 16 ft 4x2's sawn.... would need to price by the metre to see the diffrence.

If you skim. I did mine with 12.5mm and ended up with exactly 100mm as it was dry wall construction. One size standard door casing is 110mm AFAIR which allows for the skim. The builders merchants took it down to 100mm for me.

Also since most stud walls are just under 8ft then how does a 14ft length help? Seems to me that gives you 7ft of wastage. I suppose if you need 7ft between top and bottom plate then that would work. With a 16ft you might get a bit more useful wood. But the studs would need to be <7'3" to get a useful 18" cross piece (mine are about 7'6"). Otherwise you are back to the same wastage as wickes' 8' pieces.

another point

check what size your plasterboard is going to be itl ither be
2440x1220 or 2400x1200 one being 16inch centres
the other being 400centres
some measuring tapes have diamonds at the appropriate spaces

and dont forget the noggins use up the extra offcuts

big all

Malc.....I was not actually being specific in terms of what lengths of 4x2 to purchase but was simply trying to emphasise the need to cost timber by the metre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back