Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built stud walls before and they have turned out ok. The project I am working on at the moment is a stud wall in a large bedroom to create an en-suite. This wall differs from others I have built in a couple of ways, the room is much higher than others I have worked in (2.7m) and it has original plaster coving which I don't want to damage. Thirdly the walls I am working from aren't very true. What way would you tackle this, start with a beam attached to the ceiling and work down etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
The height is not a problem, just use the relevant length timber.

Start with your sole plate and fix to the floor.You should really put noggins between the joists if your wall is running in the same direction as them.
Make sure it is square to whichever existing wall will be the longest dimension of the new room and the fix it down.If your walls are wildly out of square and you want a square room and can spare the space you could always stud out your existing walls
Start with your first upright cut to length so it just stops short of the coving, fix it to the wall.
Your header should then stop just short of the coving along the ceiling, cut it to length but don't fix it(lay it on your sole plate then measure from it up to the ceiling at each end)
Cut two uprights for each end(cut them a couple of mm over length so you get a tight fit)and fix your header to the ends.
You may need an extra pair of hands for the next bit if you wall is long.
pull the bottoms of your uprights into the centre slightly but not enough to pull the nails out of the header,then stand it all up on your sole plate.
Then spread out the bottoms to wedge the whole assembly up against the ceiling.Start at the end you started and level up your first upright and fix it to your sole plate.repeat at the other end.
Then tap the header back or forward to level it up, do this at both ends until you are sure your wall is level and vertical in both planes.Then fix the header to the ceiling.
Fill in with the rest of your uprights and noggins.
when it comes to plasterboarding just scribe the board to the profile of the coving as close as possible

That is great thank you. I wasn't sure i a pro would notch the coving but your method is what I though would work just needed to make sure. Thank you for the concise answer.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
You can cut the coving but as it is a plaster one I wouldn't as it will probably shatter if you cant scribe the plasterboard brilliantly don't worry it can be sorted out when plastering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back