Studs on external Victorian wall, electrics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Board!

It's been ages, again. Glad you're all still here.

Got ourselves a kitchen extension but now we're left with the bit between the new bit and the old bit.

The electrics were left in a mess, so they're now sorted out.

We've had the roof part replaced and a new window put in. Now i need to plasterboard it all and we can decorate.

I've tried to get people in to quote, but no one has wanted to do it. I've stopped asking after 6 months. I even posted on Rated People and tradesmen have paid to contact me and just not turned up, or offered services we don't need...

I was thinking of fixing insulated plasterboard to the walls. Can I do this? I'm concerned that the external walls should be lime plastered or not at all, but foam backing should be ok to stop moisture coming through, right?

How do i run the electric cables under the foam/plasterboard.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me on where to go to find this information for sure!

Mr. T.

Sponsored Links
You can fix by either battening walls or dot'n'dab but a mechanical fixing will be needed as additional support.
The cables can just run up behind the insulated board.

There are regulations to cable zones, if the cable is routed less than 50mm from any surface they must be complied to link
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:route

Also note requirements for RCD protection on buried cable and sockets.

Also you may have to consider any derating for cables, if within insulation.
Are you getting an electrician?

Hello PrenticeBoyofDerry; thanks for your links and info.

A builder left us with a re-wire and extension wiring loom not connected. We're basically finishing off the bit between the old part of the house and the new part. An electrician has been in and certified what we have now.

I've tried to find a builder, carpenter, plasterer, electrician to finish it off, but I can't. So, i've got to do this last bit myself.

If I can do it properly myself, I will. If I need to, I will get an electrician to come in and help where needed.

I can put insulation into the roof. I can put battening up on the walls and plumb it straight. I can put foam-backed plaster board on it and do all the box work around the pipes. If I can, I'd like to just run the battening and where a cable is running, I'd like to break the battening to allow the wire to run perpendicular to it.

Most of these are single-walled victorian exterior walls.

Sponsored Links
You can install cables only where permitted by the safe zones or mechanical protection must be used if less than 50mm in walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back