Stump Killer plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know anything about these caps in a fresh cut tree stump, such as who makes them. Will they just be plastic caps to cover drilled holes that were filled with glyphosate or similar or are they prefilled capsules you drive into a hole. (I realise that they you poisen the outside of the stump when the trees not growing and the sap is being taken back down to the roots.)

20190210_111716.jpg 20190210_110945.jpg

Sponsored Links
Again an unnecessary use of a very harmful chemical. I'm actually rotting a tree stump at the moment. It's a process whereby you drill holes down into the stump with a wide auger attachment and then fill each hole with sodium bicarbonate. The bicarb is cheap, you can buy buckets of it online relatively inexpensively. Once you apply it you dampen it slightly and leave for a month at a time, covered of course with some plastic.. Gradually the stump will soak up more and more of the bicarb until it dies. A true eco alternative. Glyphosate is filth.

Again an unnecessary use of a very harmful chemical. I'm actually rotting a tree stump at the moment. It's a process whereby you drill holes down into the stump with a wide auger attachment and then fill each hole with sodium bicarbonate. The bicarb is cheap, you can buy buckets of it online relatively inexpensively. Once you apply it you dampen it slightly and leave for a month at a time, covered of course with some plastic.. Gradually the stump will soak up more and more of the bicarb until it dies. A true eco alternative. Glyphosate is filth.
What hole diameter and depth do you use with bicarb, and presume they are spaced evenly across the cut surface and not just round the outside

Sponsored Links
Glyphosate is filth.

..depending on where it is used. In this case I agree because it's a very small, manageable area but for larger-scale projects (thinking about the removal of trees on railway embankments happening near me) Glyphosate is effective.

The bicarb method does work well I have used it on a large willow tree stump in our garden.

What hole diameter and depth do you use with bicarb, and presume they are spaced evenly across the cut surface and not just round the outside

25mm + auger if I remember correctly, the largest size I could get that would fit in my drill, maybe it was over 30mm I'll find out for you tomorrow if you really want to know. Holes were spaced approximately 50mm apart across the whole face, I followed a video tutorial on YouTube, it shouldn't be too hard to find it had hundreds of thousands of views.

..depending on where it is used. In this case I agree because it's a very small, manageable area but for larger-scale projects (thinking about the removal of trees on railway embankments happening near me) Glyphosate is effective.

The bicarb method does work well I have used it on a large willow tree stump in our garden.

The OP is discussing a home garden. There is no excuse for using Glyphosate in a home garden other than laziness. I realise many old timers here are used to using such harmful stuff just because they can. Need I remind everyone again that glyphosate has been banned in many countries. The damage you are doing to yourself, not just the environment, is monumental. Even in small doses .

Stump grinders can be hired (but v dangerous for a beginner); many tree surgeons also use them. They have the advantage that the stump and roots are immediately removed and the area can be incorporated quickly into the garden around it for seeding, digging etc..

Blup

Baader meinhof

Attachments

• 20190217_155316.jpg
    20190217_155316.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 89

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back