Stupid question?...blocked gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is absolutely peeing down here and has been all day...

Noticed neighbour's gutter is blocked and overflowing along the whole length...full of water (our equivalent is fine...)

I know said (nice) neighbour is away for a few weeks....so he doesn't know he has a problem....

It is a low part of the roof and I might be able to reach it from my ladder (from his garden) and try to unblock it at least a bit for now for him...even though I would get soaked...(not too keen but think I should do the right thing)

So what is the worst thing that could happen in the short term? Could the whole gutter fall off? (Will tell him when he gets back anyway)
And would any one think that was being cheeky? (It isn't causing me any problems - just wouldn't like him to come home to his gutter on the ground...)
Any thoughts...

Sponsored Links
If they are nice neighbours and there would be no animosity created by your actions, nothing wrong by helping a neighbour out.
An over flowing gutter can cause a number of problems.
I am sure you would appreciate it, if the roles were reversed.

If the whole gutter overflows, then a blocked downpipe is the main suspect

If you go into his garden, just be careful where you put the ladder - you don't want to rest it on the gutter, and if its a wide soffit, you don't want to be reaching back off the ladder

Normally blocked on the bends or when they use self tap screws though the downpipe on connection joints

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the advice....
I can't see anything obvious in his gutter/downpipe and I can't reach properly from my stepladder...(it is single storey) and it was really windy so I decided against using a proper ladder and poking around in the downpipe ... (images of pulling the whole downpipe/guttering down as I fell...hardly helping him out)

I'll just have to let him know when he gets back....and hope it doesn't rain like that again until he does....

I did feel extremely guilty being in his garden - even though I wouldn't mind if he did the same for me!

Thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back