Sub base complications and confusion

Oi! Victor

Your comment
a "professional" tradesman

Clearly implies that you believe someone's professionalism is in question if they shop at B&Q.

Woody was quite succinctly pointing out that this is nonsense.

Wind your neck in.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the age of a thread is relevant, and its always possible that pricing structures change and retailers reposition themselves within the market, but pointless comments should always be avoided.

Sponsored Links
I am a pro' builder and i do (occasionally) shop at B&Q.

Is my pro' status in question/doubt?

I prefer a local b.m. and enjoy a pretty good rep from the one i use regularly. I do not however like big sheds or large web based

The age of the thread, by the way, is enormously relevant.

I didn't say never shop at B&Q or wickes, we all have occasion to. I was reaction to the notion that they were the best places to shop and the cheapest, which is generally speaking not true.

I also implied that the majority of builders don't shop there much, which is also true, although they probably all do occasionally.

This seems pretty obviously true.

But hey as a great man once said, if you see what you want, where you want, at a price you want, then the advice is to buy it.

OI r896neo !

I don't understand what "wind your neck in means" but you need to read things more thoroughly and learn what succinctly means, especially when you going to try and sound assertive.

Just looked at engineering brick prices at B&Q online £0.94 wow that's a bargain must be huge discounts at the trade counter I guess, maybe 80% or so (but no such luck), this is daylight robbery. I wonder if B&Q sponsor forums?

The prices are irrelevant.

Your use of quotation marks around the word ''professional'' implies that you believe someone to be unprofessional to shop at B&Q.

This is what i find ridiculous and from reading woody's reply i think he did too.

Wind your neck in simply translates to; don't be so brash

Up until the end of 2012 B&Q were selling (subsidised) fibreglass insulation at a ridiculous £5 per roll.

Ho hum.

How can you say prices are irrelevant?

Cost engineering is a vital part of any engineering profession. Yes I do baulk at the idea of a professional thinking and indeed advising lay men to shop mostly at dIy shops, which is what the original post implied. Again I remind readers I did not say professionals would never buy at these places, we all do sometimes, and yes when they were flogging cheap insulation I filled more than one van up, but that's the exception.

It bothers me that some newly married man might read such advice and actually think that most professionals buy their supplies at DIY stores on a regular basis, when nothing could be further from the truth. People looking for advice deserve better.

Engineering bricks at 94p , hugely overpriced are not the exception, the loft lagging is.

I was not being brash, the original post was.

I mean prices are irrelevant in reference answer to my post.

I took no exception to your comment about prices as your right on most counts.

The part of your post i had a problem with was the part i quoted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back