Sub base complications and confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m about to put some paving slabs down prior to erecting a Gemini 6*6 plastic shed.

The area is normal soil and stones but there are some tree roots which will need to be removed.

All other thing being equal would folk recommend ballast as sub base and sand as bed or sharp sand as sub and mortar as bed etc.

Would appreciate any advice here as I’ll be doing the job on my lonesome.

I used four dabs of mortar on sand the last time I laid a patio about five years ago and it seems to have held.

Thanks for your time.

Longshanks

Sponsored Links
You need a sub base that will not shift around. So do not use sand or ballast, instead use smashed broken bricks, tiles etc (for free) or buy some MOT1 (the grey stuff) and compact that down until firm.

Thanks for your response.

Do I have to hire on of those wacker things or can I just use my roller to smooth it off?

Also what mortar mix would you use?

Many thanks again

If you roll it, it will settle over time. If I was doing it I would use a plate compactor, but then I own one, bought on Flebay 2 years ago.

As for morta mix, use what suits you best, but use 5 dabs and aim to squash the dabs out to remove most of the air voids, or do a dry sand cement mix and water the tiles afterwoods. You could plate compact the dry mix too before laying the slabs.

A number of drives of crazy paving were done this way in my road 30 years ago - compacted subbase then 1" layer of dry sand/cement and then paving slabs, then spray water, then point a week later. They are still in very good condition but do remember the paving used was the thick type broken Council paving slabs.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your help again.

Last question-honest!

Have been struggling to get MOT 1 is this known as something else in B&Q or do I need to go to a builders merchants?

Thanks

Longshanks

Why are you shopping at B££Q for building materials unless a product is cheaper/better quality than elsewhere?

I don't shop at Wickes either, but in their mini catalogue they call it 'Granular Sub Base' and on the bag it has printed 'M.O.T. Type 1'

Walk round a builders merchant and take a look at their products.

no dont go too the builders yard m8
youll pay out the arse
B&Q trade point & wickes are the best places as you get savings on loads of stuff like wickes you pay what it says on the ticket thats it dont need too worry about vat

and as for the sub base both b&q/wickes sell all the stuff youll need
mot type 1 stone if its a small base id use a puner a hand held compacter
wickes £12 ish no need too go too the hire shop

and if you think its going too be a bit of a tw@t job why not just concrete it 4" base over some type 1 stone sorted
and as its small if you add up the mats too slab it /concrete it youll save money
BUT if you lay slabs DONT use the 5 dot way of laying slabs its prone too movement lifting and ants nests.
use a solid bed mix of 4:1 mix sharp sand/cement
as for pointing the slabs use a 4:1 mix lean miix soo not too stain the slabs work the wix into the pointing with the side of your trowel
cut of a peace of hose pipe 8" long and run it over the joint working the mix in so its firm keep filling as you goo till it looks how you want it use a soft brush too clean off as you go

trust me im a plasterer/builder all i use is B&Q/wickes or medway builders
if its a big job now thats a firm wow chepest there is phone befor lunch and youll have it next day with no charge
travis / jewsons ill never grace them with my money

I just read a comment with a "professional" tradesman saying how they would always use the likes of B&Q or Wickes rather than a builders merchant.

I don't often feel the need to write on forums but this comment staggered me.

If this is true then the huge numbers of builders in this country who you don't see queuing outside B&Q must be really missing out. Go there one morning, see how few builders and craftsmen you will see, oh you'll get the odd guy who has been caught short on a job, we've all done it, or on the odd occasion one of these stores may be selling something cheap to attract punters, but generally they will attract a very very small number if professionals. Why? Because their prices and quality are appallingly high.

It's true to say that not all builders merchants are the same. I personally find that Jewson can be pricey but of course you always have to look around. In my area Ridgeons are a great place to start. Remember that builders merchant will almost always do better than any price tickets they have on items, and if you open an account (you don't need to spend huge amounts of money for this) you will get more discounts.

It's not just the silly prices of DIY stores that annoys me its the very low quality of tools, timber and Own Brand products.

Shop at a good local merchant or shop online, believe nothing of what you read and half of what you see, test the truth yourself. Go looking for a length of dry 2x2 planed timber, note the dampness, number of knots, straightness and price at B&Q, then call around I'd be surprised if you can't get it at half the price and the quality will be better.

DIY stores are for convenience of the general public if price and often quality is of no concern.

Buy stuff from wherever you want if it's what you want at the price you want to pay

It has no bearing on "professionalism" :rolleyes:

Wow now that's a really wise and kinda cool comment, I just wish I could come up with stuff like that, I mean just a few words but very deep.

I had to ask the wife to put it in simple words for me because I'm kind slow at times, she said " we'll it means don't go shopping in places you don't want to, and don't pay a price just because someone told you too for something you didn't want anyway"

Still a bit beyond me, i just cant see the meaning no matter how hard i look, what it must be to be able to make such profound and sagely comments, thanks from all of us woody! :D

Don't know about Wickes but my local B&Q tradepoint is well used by pro builders. One of my regular builders uses them as well and I know him well enough to know he wouldn't be doing that if the prices weren't right.

Woody your comment doesn't actually say anything, can't you see that? It just the sort of vague response that posters use if they want to appear smart but not upset anyone by saying anything concrete. Do you really think people need to be told that if they find an item they wanted and its at the price they wanted they should buy it??? It that sort of twitter that people use when they just want to say something, anything, as long as they contribute, whether or not its worth saying.

All you've actually done is spoiled a thread discussing DIY shops versus builders merchants by stating the obvious.

All you've actually done is spoiled a thread discussing DIY shops versus builders merchants by stating the obvious.

All you've actually done is dig up a two year old thread to slag a guy off for buying from B&Q.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back