Sub base edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any of you guys got any suugestions for how I go about preparing the area prior to laying a compacted hardcore/mot sub base?

Basically I've got few edges of the new patio that will be 'free'. In other words not butted up to a wall or anything solid. Eventually some of these edges will have vertical slabs to create a neat edge (e.g. steps area).

But as I lay down the sub base, I don't want the type 1 to spill over the edges...

If I use timber then it would rot over time? So my idea of laying down some formwork like you would prior to concreting wouldn't be good?

What do you profs do in this situation?

Cheers

Ben

Sponsored Links
2" thick concrete edging kerbs. either bull nosed, square edge or go for a decorative scroll top or wavey top.

Cheers.

I wasn't aware of this product/technique. I just need something to retain the hardcore bed - it won't be seen so just square cut will be fine to I can lay the slab edges on top/vertically against.

Lay on standard mortar?

lay the edging kerbs on a concrete 'kerb race' and haunch the concrete partially up the sides of the edging.

you can also use sharp sand and cement for more pedestrian areas or locations subject to little stress or movement.

Sponsored Links
Got you. Thanks.

I suppose in areas of heavy use, like steps etc, then going a bit OTT on strength is no bad thing.

Ta.

Actually. Having thougth about it, would there be any reason not to just extend the height of the concrete race to the height required with timber formwork? Therefore replacing the need for any kerb pieces? With the mot flush with this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back