Sub base or no sub base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have to lay about 30m2 of indian sandstone for a new patio. I am basically taking up an area that has concrete on it, smashing the concrete to pieces and then laying new paving.

Do I need to lay a sub base? Or will 80mm of sharp sand be enough? Has thought about laying on top of the concrete but may have an issue with the door.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Its up to you but for the small amount of extra cost (although a decent bit of extra digging) just put in a sub-base 75-100mm will be plenty.

80mm is far too deep for a mortar bed it should be a maximum depth 50mm.

Hi

Thanks for that.

Problem I have is that to put a sub base in would mean digging up the existing concrete. Am i likely to have problems if I dont? also, if i was to just cover the old concrete, what kind of mix do i need to lay the paving on?

I've got a similar situation where I've got an ugly old concrete patio, and my plan is to simply pave over it. I think the pavingexpert website give some advice on the best type of mortar for that situation.

How much extra height are you limited to?

Sponsored Links
I'm limited to about 40mm near the door. But then it slopes down towards a gully in the middle of the patio. Was thinking I could lay the pavers nearest the door on a 20mm bed of sand, then increase it as I go towards the middle, sticking with the slope as much as possible (If i need a slope?)

Hey, just wanted to check when you say a bed of 20mm sand you mean mortar, as in sand and cement?

Sandstone in particular needs to be layed on a full bed of moartar.

Yes! Sorry, that is what I meant.

I think I could get away with laying mortar on the concrete and the slabs on top.

Any idea how much mortar I would need?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back