sub base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im planning on adding a porch on my back door around 2.5m x 1.5m. Now at the minute the floor area is a concrete base. After drawing out a section of the new floor the current concrete base is the same level has where the sub base would be. So could I just leave it has it is and just put my sand screen on this and continue upwards or would I have to break this up to small pieces to create a granular Sub Base?

Sponsored Links
Long answer: Are you doing a proper footing for the walls? If so you will have to dig down below the concrete base, this will give you an idea of how thick it is and how stable it is underneath. But you will have to cut through it carefully to leave the bit you want to keep, intact.

Short answer: Yes.

Sand blinding and insulation on top of this concrete, then screed or floating timber floor.

Yeah I will be digging for footings. Was going to angle grind two slots and take out the middle so should be neat and tidy and not disturb the concrete thats they now.
Also if I put a bed of sand down, insulation then screen. what thickness would you recommend has I need to raise it from the concrete base (ground level) 12 inch up to meet the house ffl?

200mm of eps (polystyrene) would be a cheap way to build up the height. Available in 200mm thickness, but 2x 100mm might be easier to buy 'off the shelf'

Sponsored Links
I thought of doing thicker insulation but didn't realise you could go or even get insulation that thick. Thanks for the replys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back