Concrete base for garden office project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've prepared / cleared the site for a 4m x 3.5m garden office. Just got a few questions, any help & advice would be very well received!

I was planning to lay a concrete base for durability. Will I be best off laying hardcore / shingle first? I see wickes sell 'Granular Sub Base MOT 1 Jumbo bag' for £38, I guess that would give me about 2 1\2", would that be deep enough? In regards to the concrete base, would 1:5 cement to ballast be a good mix? Would a similar depth be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Should ideally be 4" of each. MOT being well compacted with a whacker plate, hand tamper or the head if a sledgehammer. A couple of sheets of A142 mesh in the middle of the concrete wouldn't hurt either. For an extra 30 quid or so its well worth it.

Should ideally be 4" of each. MOT being well compacted with a whacker plate, hand tamper or the head if a sledgehammer. A couple of sheets of A142 mesh in the middle of the concrete wouldn't hurt either. For an extra 30 quid or so its well worth it.

What about the visqueen >?.

I totally agree with the rest . Especially the A142.. you have it right.
try and educate the pennypincher builder(s) on here please.

Sponsored Links
As deluks says!

Price up all the materials you need for the concrete and then price up readymix, you might be surprised. Often the cost of materials alone for say a cubic metre are only a few quid less than getting it delivered.

Add to that the fact that mixing anything over half a cube is bloody hard work and you probably just about get it done in a very long day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back