Sub Floor Joist Renewal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I don't have too much info yet but I am told the joists in the sub floor may need replacing. Any ideas on a ball park figure? Have you had this done or done it? Appreciate any advice. Obviously its going to be a case of not knowing exactly whats to be done until the Builder lifts the floorboards. Thanks

Sponsored Links
How long is a piece if string? Far too little info to go on there

Any idea why they need replacing? Sometimes strengthening can be done by sistering (doubling up) joists. On the current job my team and I have sistered, replaced or repaired over 2,000 joists in the last 18 months using a varity of techniques, as well as installing more than 2,000 new joists. It isn't rocket science and is often doable for a DIYer with relatively little equipment (often as little as just a drill, tape, saw, spanner and a couple of cramps - we use a bit more than that, but we are aiming for 25 to 40 joists a day for two men in a listed building where every joist is different). Post some more details and maybe a picture or two and someone is bound to answer your request

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Thanks. I thought someone on here may have had this done but I suppose every job is different and we won't know what is needed till the Boards come up. There has been a water/damp issue and floors are sloped and moving. Subsidence has been ruled out.

Sponsored Links
That's right. Until some boards are lifted you can't see the structure or assess the problem(s).

What I find baffling is that the attached property is on the same flat level as I am, has the same drains and guttering etc, and does not have any issues, there is no history of drain leaks, the drains all run clear and yet the issue of damp which is on one corner but spreading is being suggested as being caused by poor Drainage?

Could be a change in sub soil make-up, such as from loam to clay, could be a leaking pipe or drain in a different place to next door, an old land drain, pretty much anything, really. Without opening it up it is impossible to say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back