sub floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a newly converted flat a year ago and it appears that I have some problem with the subfloor which is causing the bathroom floors tiles to crack ,grout to fall out, the flooring to feel incredibly springy throughout (under carpets as well as under the wooden laminate floor)and finally also the kitchen units to drop, causing surface and the hob to crack and the units to come out of alignment.
The builders have said they will replace tiles, grouting,etc. However they will do nothing about the flooring (the kitchen has been refered to the installers for possible replacement.If in deed it is the flooring fixing these items all of the repairs will only be a temporary fix anyway
Who can I get in to check the subfloor and report back . I have managed to get the architects drawing but Im no expert -and cannot tell whether the products that they have put in under the flooring are the correct ones and that the way they have been installed , and sizes are suitable.
I got a structural engineer in who says he thinks its the subfloor but is in no position to determine the products under the carpet and laminate.
The builders have since come back and said that it is contiboard.....the product looks like chipboard to me (are they the same)Does anyone know what professional is prepared to write a report for me on whats causing the problems throughout the flat ?Do I go to a builder? surveyor?architect?
Please help

Sponsored Links
I think in order to see exactly what is happening the carpet and laminate are going to have to be lifted first in order to see what has been done to the flooring, probably not done to spec. If it's springy I reckon it's not the boards but what the boards are sat on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back