sub floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’ve doing an extension which isn’t very big about 8ft by 6ft. Problem is that i need airbricks as i’m having a sub timber floor. I only have one side that i can put air bricks on and it is tricky. As it a small extension, I was wondering if i could put air vents in the floors maybe 2 or 3 as this will allow air to get underneath. The vents are shown below:

Thank you!

Attachments

• D117DB98-CEB3-4A20-8DB0-95CF3DAEEBAB.jpeg
    D117DB98-CEB3-4A20-8DB0-95CF3DAEEBAB.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Check with your bco- those floor vents will cause massive draughts. One solution is duct in to the side you can't ventilate (110mm waste pipe) so you get a through draught, which is what you need

Hi.

On second thought I see I can get these telescopic air vents which i will most likely put 2 on 1 sides and on another side another 2. Do these vents bridge the cavity, as does the neck touch both skins or does it only touch one and then go onto the other skin with the brick head bit.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh so you have 2 sides you can get at? Those telescopic things are designed so the vertical bits are in the cavity and the horizontals in the brickwork. Easy to fit when building, pain as a retrofit- you'll have to cut a block or 2 out

Oh so you have 2 sides you can get at? Those telescopic things are designed so the vertical bits are in the cavity and the horizontals in the brickwork. Easy to fit when building, pain as a retrofit- you'll have to cut a block or 2 out
Yep, two sides but the usually air bricks usually go horizontal, but after i found these i can now go down a couple of courses. Can i also put this on the course of the dpc and lay the dpc on top of these air bricks?

Cheers

hi @oldbutnotdead, could you help me out with a dpm question. i have posted on here but i am still not understanding. i have a timber raised floor, and am getting mixed answers whether or not to put a dpm between the sand blinding and the 50mm of concrete. A person has said that do put a polyethylene membrane down ( not dpm) to stop “weeds”, but i’m sure that a dpm is made of polyethylene.

Your help would be great thanks.

This is for the subfloor? Yes put dpm down, it helps reduce the water vapour under the floor.
EDIT Yes standard DPM is polythene sheet (polythene being short for polyetheline)

Yep, two sides but the usually air bricks usually go horizontal, but after i found these i can now go down a couple of courses. Can i also put this on the course of the dpc and lay the dpc on top of these air bricks?

Cheers
Yes, stick some mortar round/on top of the plastic thing so you don't end up with a mouse-size gap

This is for the subfloor? Yes put dpm down, it helps reduce the water vapour under the floor.
EDIT Yes standard DPM is polythene sheet (polythene being short for polyetheline)
correct and once i lay my sand blinding then the dpm, does this just butt up with the brickwork, as someone said to connect it to the dpc? then i lay my 50mm concrete. thanks

correct and once i lay my sand blinding then the dpm, does this just butt up with the brickwork, as someone said to connect it to the dpc? then i lay my 50mm concrete. thanks
You should turn the sides up a bit so the concrete is separated from the brickwork but with suspended timber you don't really want a lined swimming pool under the floor so no don't link to dpc

You should turn the sides up a bit so the concrete is separated from the brickwork but with suspended timber you don't really want a lined swimming pool under the floor so no don't link to dpc
thank you, straight to the point, perfect.

sorry going back to this answer, turning the dpm up so the 50mm concrete slab doesn’t touch the brickwork at all, wouldn’t weeds grow up between the dpm upfield and brickwork as the concrete isn’t covering it all?

If you puddle the concrete well into the edges and corners there won't be much of a gap.
If you've dug out the topsoil there won't be many weed seeds left.
And don't know about your house but there's not a lot of sunlight in my subfloor (which plants need to grow).
So don't worry about it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back