Subsidence repairs failing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into a house in 2011 which had some underpinning work in 1999. The work included cracks being fixed with helibars, some just filled, and complete re-decoration.

The re-decoration is a poor job: wallpaper is peeling, and paint is flaking. I didn’t care, as I intend to re-do it all anyway. In the hallway, you can see where they did a terrible job with the pollyfilla - no evidence of raking out or even sanding the filler.

But... over the last year or so, the stairs (along the same wall) are getting more creaky, and it looks as if the original cracks in the hall are getting larger (they are still under 2mm). Also, a picture rail on the underpinned wall has moved down slightly where is joins another in a corner. There are no matching cracks on the outside.

Is this just the poor cosmetic repairs to the cracks? (and I can just repair or re-decorate it properly) Or is it possible that there is full-on wall movement again?

What should I be doing? I don’t want to make an insurance claim, as I don’t even know if there is a problem. But there could be, and frankly, it’s likely to be the insurer’s previous tradesmen at fault, isn’t it?

I’d be gutted if I repaired the hallway cracks, paid to have it all re-skimmed, then found it was moving, and it cracked again!

I’d welcome any advice.

I’ve tried to take some pictures of the cracking:
http://richardwalker.letterboxes.org/hall

Sponsored Links
with subsidence you would expect cracks on the outside as well as the inside.
but if the repairs to the inside wall are such a bodge id be worried they might have bodged the underpinning as well.

Yikes, that did cross my mind too. At the time, the house was owned by an old lady, so I assumed they just did the bare minimum on the visual stuff.

I’m not even sure who to ask for a pro opinion... I have the details of the repairs, including the surveyors who spec-ed it and recommended the tradesmen. Should I try them, or maybe just ring the insurers (I am with the original insurers, so they should have details too).

Sponsored Links
Ok, I shall try and monitor. That kit looks expensive! Maybe a few rulers will do.

I have also noticed the wood trim (skirting etc.) On the stairs starting to move away from the wall. Then again, same thing happened in my previous house, and that was no big deal.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back