Subsiding Conservatory - jack it up or wait for fall down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old (1987) aluminium conservatory which has subsided in one corner to the point where the doors no longer close and i'm worried the glass may shatter. This has happened because it was built on top of a patio with no footings...

Now I don't have the money to replace it right now (just moved in - thanks surveyor...) so I need options. Since the conservatory sits on a single layer of bricks I was wondering if I can jack up the corner of the conservatory and fix in place. Any advice on how I could achieve this? Anyone done anything like that before?

FYI - I placed a pickaxe under the brick course at the corner which is loose and could move the conservatory slightly upwards so it will move!

Thanks

Graham

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to remove it. Won't cost any money, just a bit of time. Start by removing the glass and then work your way down.

That way no-one gets hurt. Pain of glass on the head first thing in the morning can really ruin your day.

Surveyors - nice work if you can get it. :rolleyes:

You could lift the conservatory by levering along the edges a little at a time. and pushing in wedges, but as Symo says, a lump of glass in the wrong place can make you wish you hadn't started.

I'd speak to your solicitor first, and have the surveyor. You paid for a service.

Sponsored Links
I'd speak to your solicitor first, and have the surveyor. You paid for a service.

Well not sure on this. The Surveyor said "The Conservatory is of basic construction and may be subject to subsidence in the future as it appears to be built on top of the patio with no footings."

Actually, none of the doors closed as it had dropped so much, there were clear signs that the quarry tile floor had dropped as it was lower by around 5mm and had been frequently repointed. There is also damage to the seal round one of the glass panes where it has been forced out, not to mention the gutter where the rain runs the wrong way.

Then again, it could have been built like that...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back