Substrate for a Parquet Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My utility room has been extended by about four feet and will become my Home Office. Both the old area and the new area have a concrete floor. Neither have any signs of dampness but the old floor has been painted with floor paint. There is no flaking on this section of the floor.

There is a slight difference in height between the two concrete floors. For which I will use a good self-leveling compound across the whole area.

As at a later date the HO may become a down stairs bathroom, I would rather not glue the blocks to the concrete floor.

Therefore, can I put down 7.5mm or 9mm thick tongue and grove plywood and use that as a substrate to glue the blocks to. The T&G joints would be glued.

My blocks are 240mm x 60mm x 10mm white Oak. The plywood is going to be left laying on the floor and will not be screwed or glued to the floor.

This would give me a total floor thickness of 17.5mm or 19mm, which would make a solid floor and if later on the floor did need to be removed, there would be no bits of glue all over the floor.

Sponsored Links
Your idea can be done, but expect some movement of the plywood if not fixed to the underfloor.

Thank you for responding to my query.

By movement of the plywood, do you mean side to side, up and down or expanding and contracting.

Also, if I did screw the plywood to the concrete floor, how far apart would the screws need to be?

Sponsored Links
Any type of movement can happen.
Screwing the ply will need to be done every 20 - 22cm, lots of screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back