Suggest a fix for height adjuster issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Champion SP484 mower.

The rear height adjuster is a lever which has a small nipple on it that locates onto holes on the side of the deck.

Occasionally hitting a stone or bump etc pops out the nipple from the hole & mostly drops to the lowest setting.

Can you advise a fix to keep this in its locating hole please.

Once it pops out and to its lowest setting the deck is the scraping along the floor.

See attached photos.

Attachments

• E1D6E140-C70A-428C-9A2B-54D3FB677440.jpeg
    E1D6E140-C70A-428C-9A2B-54D3FB677440.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
Very common I'm afraid, the adjuster is a thin piece of spring steel that just isn't strong enough to hold things in place.
Can you reinforce it somehow, perhaps adding a strip of steel on the back to stiffen it up?
I must confess I have removed the nipple on occasion and replaced it with a bolt, but of course it's not adjustable afterwards.
John :)

Thought as much.
So the lawns I cut I have the height adjusters on 2,3 & 4

So it would makes sense to bolt down the rear adjuster on the number 4 height.

By doing this can you explain what happens when rear adjuster is in 4 & the front are on 2

Ideally you set the adjusters the same, front and back - but if you have the back slightly higher then the grass will cut more easily if its on the long / rough side....the chances are, you won't notice things too much.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back