Suggest a Heatslave 18/25 replacement as possibly not worth fixing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, its been a long time since posting but here I am again!

We have an external Worcester Bosch 18/25 Heatslave oil boiler. It is now 13 years old but has been pretty reliable to be fair, with not too much spent on things going wrong other than the yearly servicing.

Today it started losing pressure causing the pump to emit an awful screeching sound so it was turned off awaiting my usual servicing guy. He had a look and got it working again with no pressure drop while he was there monitoring, but noted pooling of water at the bottom of the housing -it had been peeing it down though :). He asked me to monitor the pressure when he left. This evening it has lost half a bar and there is definite pooling of new water at the bottom of the housing so a definite leak. I'll get him around again but he did intimate that he hoped it isn't the tank which implied to me it could be costly...?

No doubt I'll find out soon but I am wondering when to realistically call it a day with this boiler as it hasn't been that costly so far, so seems a shame to replace it! If the bill to fix this is on the hefty side, should I be considering a new boiler and if so, what? Bearing in mind the trouble-free 13 years I've had with this I'd easily get an exact replacement...but I'm assuming they are obsolete now. Looking around, oil boilers are still quite pricey but I'm not sure if, say, version 2 of the heatslave is more efficient/reliable etc to swing it as a replacement?

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
If you can't see any leaking joints, then it's either the dhw tank or the boiler that has gone.

Thanks, what is the typical cost to get either of those replaced/repaired?

As oilhead has said at that age probably heat store gone .
I would be looking at boiler replacement if you change heat store main hex is same age.
We change 2 to 3 oil boilers a week have taken out current worcesters at 5 years old!
If your looking for another combi look at Grant vortex pro .
5 years warranty if you use a Grant registered installer
Make sure system is properly flushed and a decent system filter fitted.

Sponsored Links
Seems a shame to ditch a boiler that's been trouble free till now. Seems like Worcester are getting worse....and why are oil boilers significantly more expensive than their gas counterparts? Seems mad to start saving £300 - £400 a year to save for a new boiler every 10 years...

OK, I've been quoted 6k for the latest external heatslave and install. That's more than I was expecting so am going to look at other options like the Grant in a hope that will be cheaper!

It includes this:

charged at 3.8k + VAT and then £1200 + VAT fitting.

That might be 'normal' but 6k for 8 years guaranteed longevity seems pricey but I guess I don't have many option other than electric or lpg.

Think I need to move my business to Devon lol.
This morning finished a 33kw internal heatslave out to external 36kw Grant combi .
System flushed new boiler included system filter, plume management kit fire valve new condensate waste, plus new control's.
All done 5 years warranty system balanced all for a good chunk less than 6 k
Straight swap like yours boiler up and running same day tidy up next morning.
Get some more quotes!

Thanks, am doing. As they're WB allied I think that's all I'm being offered. I will try and get some brand agnostic installers in.

Being a bit green with oil boilers, obviously mine is 'obsolete' however I do see non-current and much cheaper WB boilers available but am not being offered them. Is it because, as a WB installer, WB will only let you install the latest and greatest so as to be able to offer the 8 year guarantee? And they don't get it on the previous but non-obsolete boilers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back